1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo spare parts list

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by AxisLab, Jan 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

I know there is a great thread on useful tools to make printer life easier, I thought maybe it would be good to have a quick list of good spare parts to keep around as well.

Maybe its the old cub scout in me but I like to keep fairly prepared for when things go a little wrong.
    I know with all tech and anything with moving parts it's normal.
    In reading the forum and hearing of random parts sadly failing and printers being down waiting on shipping, I'd personally like to prepare for the worst and keep a few of the important ones handy. To me its worth a few extra bucks in the beginning to save hassle and time later.

Any Ideas on great parts to keep on hand for the Robo and reputable sites to get them? The more detail the better for anyone that may need to find parts in a hurry.

Obviously a hot end and backup stepper motor for starters but I don't know enough to say which ones or the best place to shop. Don't need to keep a top of the line hot end or the best of the best parts for backup either, A cheap fix for now is better than a two week down time if that makes sense.

2. Chas

Chas Member

not really a "part" per say, but It's handy to have extra Kapton tape lying around. When i was putting together my E3D i ran out and couldnt find it at any hardware stores or anything nearby. Now if I need it its there and I dont need to hunt all over town. It's fairly cheap on amazon and I keep finding other good uses for it too.

3. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

I personally keep a collection of nuts, bolts, springs, etc. I get so paranoid I even have a spare E3D :p

4. AxisLab

Is it possible for you to be a little more specific? like "these" springs for "here" or this size bolt for this?
    My goal is to put together the perfect "Robo survival kit" in a sense. Plus I think this thread could potentially be a great help for people that run into the unexpected brick wall of part failure.

I hear ya on a spare e3d, Hell if I had the cash I would have an entire spare robo on backup lol. But then I would just end up running two at a time and would need twice the spare parts...

5. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

6. AxisLab

Excellent! That is great. I guess if anyone wants to post a few known parts that tend to wear out that could help too but that list is a great reference point to start with.

7. Chas

Chas Member

The Hobbed bolt.

2 people like this.
  8. AutopsyTurvy

AutopsyTurvy Active Member

Plumbing tape, also - there's a bit used at the bottom of the threaded rods inside the coupling, and a little grease in there (say, if you over-grease the threaded rods like I did) will dissolve the tape and cause the rods to slip in the coupling.

I also had one of the little toothed wheels on the stepper motors (the bit that moves the belts) just kinda randomly come off, and figured out that motherboard screws (which I had a ton of laying around) fit perfectly in there and are short enough not to get in the way.

2 people like this.
  9. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

Also generally have extra screws that you know you're about to fiddle with. This is due to the fact they have a horrible tendency to strip. Having extras whenever you're about to touch a part will keep you from having your printer down. It's very frustrating when the third screw you've just screwed in strips too.

I really like the hex top screws. Just make sure if you go with metric (like so many of these are) that you ALSO go with a metric bit. Though an imperial bit will be close, that margin of error is just enough to strip the metric one too.

2 people like this.
  10. Craig Parsons

Craig Parsons New Member

I had a very hard time getting out the very small screws. I don't have an electric screw driver.

The little screws that hold the filament in, I need to order new ones, I stripped them pretty good. Are those M3x8mm machine

Screws?

11. AxisLab

Yup, a backup stepper motor would be nice right about now... I guess I should have taken less time trying to make a list and more time just hording parts.... Damn.
    Y axis. Belt seemed dead on too. Was right on the factory white lines and didn't feel too tight.
    [​IMG]

12. Ryan Ridings

Ryan Ridings New Member

Do all of the NEMA 17's come with the slit cut or is that something special for R3D?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.