1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Robo with close bottom - Good or Bad

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Robert Choban, Jan 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Choban

Robert Choban Active Member

I have a Robo R1 with a closed bottom. I'm thinking about removing the fan from the plastic bottom and printing a bracket the holds the fan and attaches to the ramps card.
    Question: Should I put the bottom back on.
    Reason I'm asking this question is because I'm concerned that bottom could be holding in the heat from the power supply and the stepper motors, and even the Ramps card with the bottom on. The fan that is attached to the bottom blows over the ramps card but does nothing for the other components under the robo, and I'm not sure how much heat is under the robo with the cover on, or if this is a real problem.
    Other reason is its a pain in the A every time I need to check anything under the robo. I have to unscrew the bottom cover.
    I do have feet on the robo, so it is elevated.

2. mediaguru

mediaguru Member

I was wondering the same thing... doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. I wonder why they didn't just make the whole bottom ventilated/perforated?

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You could mount the fan in the side (front side) of the case. I did (and I have a KS version, long before the bottom went on).
    This exhausts the fan outside while pulling air across the RAMPS.

I think I have a picture of mine way back in the original thread, but I can probably take another if needed.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The bottoms primary function is to cover the wiring so it looks cleaner.

Secondary is a rigid mount point for the ramps fan. They kept falling out in shipping prior.

In terms of airflow dynamics the cover makes sense. You're blowing cool air onto the ramps board to cool it. Then this air enters into the power supply and blows up into the case. Makes sense to me.

Removing the cover is fine, just be sure you have a fan on the ramps board.

5. Bill Monroe

Bill Monroe Member

I removed the bottom, designed my own bracket to mount the fan that was attached to the bottom, then just left it off.
    One cool thing is now when the lights in the room are out, the LEDs on the ramps/arduino send off interesting light shows that reflect off the table..

ok, so I get easily amused....

2 people like this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

The bottom cover is also there to minimise the risk of fingers (especially tiny fingers) touching bare mains power connections to the power supply etc.

I'm not saying don't do it. Just take care.

7. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

My case bottom doesn't even fit, it bulges in the middle and the screw head hits the table. I am removing it after I make my custom stand for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.