1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo3d calibration issues, Z axis / bed detection

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by RokleM, Sep 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RokleM

RokleM Member

I've only had the Robo3d for about a month now, so remember still fresh with knowledge and trying to learn everything I can as fast as I can ;)

I had this issue when going to Simplify3d originally (thinking it was software), then the issue went away (did calibration in MC, turned off auto-level, then successfully found commands in Simplify3d to print well). I've printed a dozen things in the last two weeks without issues. Then all the sudden, I had a couple print jobs "print in the air" again and am having the same problem again. I flashed again with Auto_Level_6_10 to default it.

In short the current issue seems to be, I have a newer auto level, but it can't seem to detect the bed. In MC attempting to do a calibration, it smashes the extruder into the bed and un-threads the rods on either side continuing to try to drive it further down (didn't happen this time but has before). The second issue is when I issue a G29 in Simplify3d it goes to point 1, goes up, goes to point 2 goes up, goes to point 3, goes up, etc... Again, previously I did a reboot of the PC, left the printer off for a while, did a calibration in MC, turned off auto level in MC, then printed in Simplify3d. For some reason, it is definitely not working this time.

I have two videos showing issues:

#1 is when doing the level calibration in MC

#2 is issuing commands manually in Simplify3d (auto level off in firmware) that should have figured out the bed location. Bare with me on the pauses and shakyness as I am trying to copy/paste on the PC while recording ;) Commands I'm using and verbally say:
    G21 ;metric values
    G90 ;absolute positioning
    G28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min endstops
    G28 Z0 ;move Z to min endstops
    G29

Video #1:

Video #2:

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

3. RokleM

RokleM Member

Well... that was stupid simple...:confused:

No clue how that happened. Thanks!

4. cnr141

cnr141 Member

its not about that like in the video.. Robo makes it from time to time even if the switches are properly aligned...

the matter is ; WHY ?

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

6. cnr141

cnr141 Member

u mean?

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I mean I didn't understand anything you said. Maybe put it in your language and I'll try and translate it.

8. cnr141

cnr141 Member

you say the switches should be properly aligned. and i say even if the swiches are properly aligned, Robo makes that problem and sometimes it gouges the table keeps turning and break the wires of the switches.

WHY ?

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Did you do something to the firmware? Otherwise the switches might have come unplugged

10. cnr141

cnr141 Member

i didnt do anything about the firmware.. By the way i dont have a update button , it told it to matter control support team, sure they didnt respond.. i had this problem once more then Jerry told me to reset the arduino and install Auto_Level_7_17 then it worked.. but how shall i know there is an update or not if it doesnt make it automaticly and today one of my customers had the same problem and the firmware is up to date everything is normal. the machine worked yesterday doesnt work proparly today, when he turned on in morning Z doesnt go down again. why would a printer get broken in a night without doing anything?

Attached Files:

11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

More likely a glitch in the USB communications exacerbated by MatterControl being worth every penny it cost.
    Try a new cable. Try something else like Repetier Host to control the printer.

12. cnr141

cnr141 Member

i guess at the end i ll buy simplfy 3d.. pulling my hairs everyday coz of mattercontrol.

13. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Add a USB hub if you have one (a powered hub) that sorted out any issues I had with the USB side.

Yea, if you can afford it Simplify is worth every penny. They provide good support as well, I have had to hit them up twice and was a happy camper both times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.