1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo3D Not Ready for Prime Time

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by cosber, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cosber

cosber Active Member

I'd like to ask everyone, in particular those who are not inclined to tear apart their machine or do mods: How many of you have printed successfully and can you do so on a regular basis?

My answers-Once and no.

I am not inclined to tear apart my extruder head, replace hobbed bolts, or buy temperature sensors. While I have enough technical experience to get away with most things, I bought Robo with the expectations I have with anything I buy-it should work-not just for the folks who like to tear things apart and put in their own fixes. Why do I have to tighten my belts, make sure the screws are tight on the steppers, or even print out my own end cap so the filament roll doesn't fly off the shaft?

If anyone looking for a printer read the forums, they'd run away screaming. I know, this was a kickstarter project, but kickstarter shouldn't mean a machine that needs to be rebuilt by the user to maybe get it to work and a kickstarter backer shouldn't mean being a guinnea pig either. To be a success, Robo needs to be at least somewhat accessible to the masses. I have no experience with the other brands out there, but I find it hard to believe that the well known MakerBots of the world would have been as successful if their users had to do as many tweaks as we have to just to get something to print once.

Needless to say, I'm pretty disappointed.

3 people like this.
  2. pclabtech

pclabtech Active Member

Sorry to hear your frustrations, I have had a few myself, but worked through them. I was more fortunate than some who had shippers destroy the printer, or as you said, belts that need tightening, screws that need loosening, or plastic pieces that need to be added in order to get a better print.

I got one of the first run units, the heatbed was "taped" to the surface of the wood and no Borocillicate glass. The second incarnation was a 4 bracket assembly with securing hand tightened clips that kept the Borocilliacate glass adhered to the heat bed. After some minor tweaks I had my printer pumping out print jobs on a regular basis.

I can understand how frustrating it is to buy something and expect it to work out of the box with no setup or calibration. This printer requires a little patience when first using it, expecially for people new to the 3D printing family.

For you, (and others reading this just getting your printer) please go through with a fine toothed comb, the instructions listed on the getting started page, accessed from the home page of Robo3D.

Make sure the voltage for your country is set right on the power supply, that you don't use a hub for communicating to the printer, that the Arduino drivers for USB to Serial are installed and the printer hardware is showing up in Device Manager.

Use the custom Repetier setup values that come with Repetier, and a 250000 baud rate.

Inspect the printer to make sure there isn't any physical damage done to the unit. Make sure the manual controls on the printer do what they are supposed to do. Level your Z-Axis screw so it hits the microswitch when the Extruder hits the glass.

Hopefully your first and subsequent print jobs come out looking great.

3. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I am not sure if I agree with you I have seen that many of the issues people are having are comes form either issues that have occurred in shipping and or the newness of people trying 3d printing for the first time. This being a kickstarter project and with the evolution of the printer over its existence due to customer requests and issues that are getting resolved is the reason we have to check those bolts and tighten those screws. I have seen this change drastically since I first got mine in fact the one thing I would disagree with the ROBO team on is the the latest version should not be called 1.2 but 5.0 or even greater the changes have been that significant most were changes to make the product better.

There are mods I have made to my printer that have helped many other people out and when and if the team feels it is good enough or useful enough it will be added for new users. If this product was static like a toaster from Walmart I could maybe agree with some of your points but it is far from that and that is what I expected when I looked into this kickstarter project. This was my first kickstarter project but in fact I had not known about kickstarter for very long before I found it, that being said I did understand that it would be an evolving project. I have found the Robo3d to be just that.

As far as failures go I can not even count the times I have heard things like "my print isn't sticking" and immediately jump off into their attempts to change things to make it stick and in the most case they are completely wrong in the assumptions they are making as to why they are having an issue. It is not really there fault as they usually have no experience but I have also had the chance to work with many people with amazing results getting fairly high quality prints in a day and the knowledge of how the things work together which make any future issues much easier to overcome.

For those willing to take the time and understand things I thing it is a wonderful item and capable of doing some amazing things for example a 10micron layer print that sits less than 15mm tall and has over 14500 layers with an outside surface finish that feels more like wet/dry sandpaper than specific layers and changing colors on a 1 perimeter wall of a vase and having the printer not skip a beat but continue on as if nothing changed also for the ability to when you need to print parts with precision to be used to replace a part that happens to get damaged as if it were the original.

As to the inclination to do mods, I did not go out looking for mods to make but looking at how I could improve my printer not so much to increase quality but to enhance the overall item like adding LEDs or a bed lock down pin or a modified z stop adjustment assembly ( i had my printer before there was even such an assembly but it was added for later printers) so I say thank you to all those will to try mods out it enhances the printer for the rest of us.

So for your success rate I think you have to take into account the steep learning curve involved and the vast number of things that need to be adjusted correctly to get those quality prints for those that take the time and spend the energy to learn how to 3d print I think it will be a rewarding experience and will come to see the Robo3D Printer as a good product for those that expect this to be similar to a Walmart toaster then there may be some disheartened people but know that 3d printing is so new to all of us it would be surprising if there would be a lot in that group

4. cosber

cosber Active Member

You've stated my point exactly-"a steep learning curve and the vast number of things that need to be adjusted correctly". The reason Walmart toasters sell is because you put in a piece of bread and it comes out toasted. Robo and maybe all 3D printers are not for those who want to try 50 different things to get a print to come out properly. Is the problem the software settings? No, those are correct. Is it the temperature? Try adjusting it 5 degrees up or down. Didn't work? Are your belts and screws tight? I'll get back to you after I tear the machine apart, hoping I put everything back in the right place. Tesseract, you and others got the savy AND the interest to do it and I applaud and appreciate your efforts to help the rest of us Bozo's. The problem is, there are alot more Bozo's out there who don't feel the effort is worth the results.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

This is admittedly, not a consumer level product--yet. It is a hobbyist, enthusiast, early adopter product (but then again, almost all 3d printers are at this stage).

It has a some advantages:
    1) Price/entry point
    2) Totally open hardware
    3) Great community

there are some down sides:
    1) Q/A for this has been lacking an a number of printers shipped with 'issues' (mine included). Some were real shipping issues, but a lot were simply things that an operational check would have caught. This is improving.
    2) You can't buy all of the parts at Walmart.

6. NickW

NickW New Member

Cosber, can I ask if you have purchased/received a printer?
    When you say you are disappointed after reading your 2 comments I feel like you were expecting that this printer would work without fail, maybe expecting a quality of product that is only found after several product life cycles and even then. Maybe you even expected at worse flipping a few switches and a few minutes of software troubleshooting. I do not have my printer yet. I purchased mine on their website after the kickstarter finished, I am expecting something that will take a certain level of commitment and enthusiasm, and time that I don't have but will find it none the less, to make operational, so if it works with little effort out of the box I'm ahead in my mind. Again it sounds like you were expecting a sound base product that isn't available yet due to technology/price, and it is unfortunate that you were given those expectations.

I agree with your statement that the Robo is not ready for "Prime Time" and there are many people who this product isn't for. But when it is ready for the lime light I know this. That everyone who has a printer and has made comments on this forum, to the company, and told their friends or coworkers about this product will feel some pride. Pride in assisting with taking a product idea that didn't really exist in the first place and creating a highly successful product. I will be shocked if this printer falls into the cracks and is forgotten in a few years. Well time to get off my soap box. Good luck Cosber, I hope you find what you are looking for.

7. Thamer Albahiti

Thamer Albahiti Active Member

i'm just going to say If you don't like to fix, tweak, adjust anything you work on, don't get a 3D printer
    it is not your hp printer you plug and just print the S**t out of

you have to put filament, change filament color, clean clogs, replace parts broken/clogged/burnt, clean, oil...etc

2 people like this.
  8. cosber

cosber Active Member

No one seems to be getting my point. If a company is going to succeed, they need to provide a machine for the masses, not just a few who like to fix, tweak or adjust to get it to work EVERY time they want to print something. I knew that when I purchased it consumer 3D printing was in it's infant stage. I never expected to plug it in and print out the Eiffel tower without some tweaking here and there. But just read the forums-people can't even get the test cubes to print properly. My 2nd test print of the stacked cubes turned out near perfect. It's been downhill ever since.

Yes Nick, I have had my printer for over a month. Your statement says you are expecting it to work with "little effort out of the box". I'm saying you might be disappointed-I hope you won't be. But I wonder how many who have purchased it from the flashy website are expecting to plug and play. They are the ones who are going to make or break the company.

After my rant, I read again what people have said-and I understand we are sort of pioneeers. I guess that is the nature of start-ups via Kickstarters. You have to decide whether you want to be a pioneer or come over on the boat after the town is established. I will continue to tweak and adjust and bitch because I own the machine and I am confident that I'll get there someday and I honestly do like the Robo concept, but I do realize I am not the Kickstarter type of consumer.

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I've had many great prints and probably 100 hours of printing so far.

My friends company has spent 500 on upgrades just to get their replicator 2 to print with any sort of consistency. Increase in cost does not correlate to increase in quality.

I think you can appreciate how a 3d printer is a highly sensitive machine and that a skillful technician behind the wheel is needed for any and all of them. Printers simply aren't plug and play yet

10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The only 'kickstarter' perspective on this printer is the support. They are not as fully engaged in that as they need to be. Otherwise, this is like any other 3D printer. I have played around with others... this one (as mentioned) has advantages and disadvantages compared to the others. The technology is too new for what you are expecting. It is not mature enough for it to be flawless printing very time. You still need to put a good bit of effort into it.

If you feel differently, feel free to investigate some of the other 3D printers you have choices from. You will find much the same (slightly better for those with a closed print env, but worse in some others). If you are not willing to put in the legwork to some research and tweaking, 3D printing is not for you--yet.

11. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Ha Mark you reminded me about when I got my first handheld calculator no batteries it had to be plugged in and if you tried doing something bad like dividing by zero it would shut down not give an error or shut off it would lock up and you had to un plug it to get it to reset properly then plug it back in and turn it on now over 40 years later they show up on damn near anything and can do more than mine could have done in its entire lifetime. it was a Llyods .

Sorry for the trip down memory lane folks

12. Mattchu

Mattchu Member

I see where he's coming from. The way the product is being advertised, is that all you do is just plug it in, put in filament, load up a model, push a button, and done. I was under a similar expectation (though knowing what I know about models and CNC I knew it would be a bit more than that), and I nearly chucked the thing out the door (and drove it down there). It's been a beast, and only a person who loves to take things apart and put them together again (mechanically, electrically inclined) would be broken in the head enough to stick with it. And a quick look around with even some of the higher end printers have revealed forums similar to ours. But yes, I feel the product does not feel that it delivered what was advertised.

Where this company differs from a lot from the other projects I've seen is that they do want to keep improving upon it. I've stopped by their offices (repeatedly), they are always working on something, both in fixes for this machine, and the next. They want it to be simple, easy, inexpensive, and accessible to all. And the first company(s) to achieve this, win big. So far I've only seen about 3 or 4 companies that want to meet those goals, and this is one of them. I hate to say give it time (believe me, I know it's hard. I'm notorious for having very little patience), but give it a little bit more time, Cosber. And we are all willing to help you.

2 people like this.
  13. NickW

NickW New Member

I agree with you once again cosber the ones who do purchase from the website and are expecting to plug and play are the ones who are going to make or break the company in the long run at least, I hope they are able to improve upon the robo in the short run to eventually reach that point. I also hope I won't be disappointed, but I hardly ever am with things that aren't working right (I do enjoy fixing whats not working, ask my wife or maybe you shouldn't).

That really bites that it has been down hill since your 2nd test print. I hope its something that is easily fixed soon, I hate to hear a fellow pioneer having large difficulties and problems, especially when it seems that others are having little problem. Good luck with that man.

14. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Well cosber if you are having that much difficulty I can spend some time working with you to get it set up properly and get prints working but you are going to have to tinker a bit I hope you understand that. I think that once the word kickstarter (or any similar enitity) is mentioned it should be assumed that every product will have initial bumps and hiccups along the way even people who place web orders should understand that.

Web(or retail) orders are the next mandatory stepfor any product. Kickstarter is only the beginning and usually is dealing with things that have not had a long life span. Kickstarter programs are for a limited time span so the first web(retail) order following are going to be almost a kickstarter 2.0 run, so again that should be known going forward and to think of the product as inferior is still not quite fair.

Give it a few years and 3d printers may be truly plug and play but I personally do not want to wait that long when I could do it now

15. Ben Lindstrom

Ben Lindstrom Active Member

Have to point out.. That if you expect a "masses" printer that is filament based the Robox kickstarter looks more polished than anything else. The fact they are using custom software with jam detection and auto-restart is a major feature missing that is critical for the soccer moms of the world to use it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/robox/robox-desktop-3d-printer-and-micro-manufacturing-p

Note, for reference.. I've done only two mods: Bed leveling by Tesseract, and a different bedclip set I designed as the default ones don't work well with his mod.

I'm wondering if anyone has put together a collective stats as to the problem types, and how many people just printed without much effort. As a 3d printer newbie I feel I've had little real problems printing (other than the ones I've created for myself =) with this setup. Maybe I'm lucky with all the stars aligning.

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

That's a pretty sweet printer, but 210x250x100 is a pretty tiny build volume. I like how they don't compare it against the Robo3D :p Though I guess they just compare against proprietary printers

17. cosber

cosber Active Member

Seems anything more complex than a test cube, the more I fail to print. The tests I do all print beautifully, the cube, even the step cube. This is where my frustration lies. The calibrations are all great. So am I wrong to expect something other than calibration file to print? The cubes are small. The more it has to move, the more it fails. I've been trying to print a spool holder I found on Thingiverse created for Robo by keraynopoylos. Out of 6 tries, I got one piece to print adequately-not perfect but good enough. The other attempts failed, mostly because of the shifting layers and now, I'm having trouble sticking again. Yesterday I tried tightening the X axis belt, which was a lot of fun. Checked the allen screws to make sure they were tight. Didn't do the Y axis yet. Not looking forward to that much tearing apart. (I figure though that I can always take it down to the Robo Shop and they can put it back together for me!) Because I was bouncing the extruder around, I started over from scratch to get the head the right distance from the table. Printed a cube perfectly. Then tried the spool holder again and the same problems with it not sticking. One thing I noticed. With this file, it creates the skirt, does a couple of layers and infill, which one time fills perfectly, the next time doesn't, then it puts another 2 layers on the skirt. When it moves back to the object, that's when it messes up. I remember reading somewhere about building the skirt along with the object to protect if from the fan or something. I assume somewhere in the g-code it's telling it to do that. I'll have to find that and remove it somehow. I'm also going to try changing the orientation of the piece I'm printing. Have it run along the Y instead of the X and see what happens.

18. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

cosber let me know if want some help I left you contact info and I am pretty sure I can get you going

19. cosber

cosber Active Member

Thanks. I'll be in touch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.