1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

PLA Robo3D pink PLA jams all the time

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by TylerJones4292, Jun 30, 2014.

1. TylerJones4292

TylerJones4292 New Member

I got a roll of pink PLA a while ago so I could make some stuff for my mom, but it's been a chore to use. It jams pretty regularly even though I've turned up the heat. For my own prints I use Silver PLA (previously grey) and have far fewer clogs. I don't know if I should take this up with Robo3D or if there's some possible solution, but right now I feel like throwing the whole spool in the trash.

I'm using an e3D v5 and strongly considering getting a v6 if it'll help clear up these jamming issues.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Eyeball the filament as it is coming out of the extruder. Do you see any evidence of bubbles in it?
    It might just need to be dehumidified (baked at 50c for a bit) to get the water out of it.

Or, it could just be crappy filament. If you have other, similarly aged filament that works... I would go with that and toss it.

3. TylerJones4292

TylerJones4292 New Member

There's definitely a little popping when it comes out of the nozzle. It's probably the filament. Whenever I don't use it I keep it in a bag with one of those silica packets, too, so I don't know how much humidity is a problem.

Like I said, the silver PLA I normally use is on top of the printer most of the time, exposed to humidity, and it works fine almost all of the time.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I have a fair selection of filament and some seems to absorb moisture 'better' than others.
    Once it has absorbed it I think the bake out is the only way to remove it.
    I am sure the bags with desiccant will slow down the absorption however.

5. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

It might be that that one small bad of desiccant is not enough. I keep a big can of desiccant in the plastic bin that I keep all my filament in. It is a gun case dehumidifier and it keeps the box at less than 25% RH:
    http://www.amazon.com/Dry-Packs-Gra...4156857&sr=8-6&keywords=gun+case+dehumidifier

It is rechargeable by heating in an oven for a few hours. I also keep a cheep hygrometer in with it. I have tried 5 brands of PLA in a number of colors and 3 brands of ABS with no popping or jamming on my V5 E3D.

It costs $18 with shipping. A cheaper way is to gather up all the desicant bags you can find from vitamin bottles and other sources and keep them in an open can with the filament. Make sure you "recharge" them if they have been exposed for long.

6. Technidyne

Technidyne Active Member

7. Technidyne

Technidyne Active Member

Tools of the trade :)

[​IMG]

5 people like this.