1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Rough Print

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Ron W, May 11, 2015.

1. Ron W

Ron W Member

Not sure if this should be in the troubleshooting section or the filament section, but can anyone tell me why a print would turn out like this? (See Pic)

I don't believe it's the filament, I have printed plenty from the same spool that turned out very nice.The only thing I can come up with is that it's the .STL file. This particular print was the terminator head, which was estimated to take 15 hours. the attached pic is the result of a little over 20 hours of printing. It seemed that the printer had a little lag changing directions. Too complex of a print?

Thanks in advance.

Ron

Attached Files:

2. David BOles

David BOles Member

I've had some similar weird bumpiness from models with lots of triangles. Could just be the model.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

... try another slicer.

It could also be that due to the size of this print any small inconsistencies you may have (loose drive components for example) are just magnified by the scale. If a smaller print looks 'good' then a larger one may look 'worse'.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

That looks to me like it might be caused by moisture in the filament.

5. Ron W

Ron W Member

That's what I thought Mike, but the next print with the same filament was perfect. I'm leaning towards it being a slicer issue.

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Might also be a cooling issue. Though I think you're right about it being related to the slicer

7. Ron W

Ron W Member

Solved it... switched slicers and software. Printed beautifully. I'm seeing why people are abandoning MatterControl now... Print quality with Cura was quite astonishing compared to MC..

mark tomlinson likes this.