1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Running her hot, she doesn't like? Stops mid print.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jsn9955, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jsn9955

Jsn9955 Member

Tried running some PCABS tonight for the first time, after a little reading, I figured good starting temps would be about 275c extruder temp, and 80c bed temp. (I read that hotter may be better, but my current firmware is set at a max 85c bed temp, and 285c extruder temp)

So I tried to print a calibration cube about 5 times, + or - 5 deg on the bed, and +10 to -5 from where I started on the extruder, and each time the printer stopped about 60 seconds into the print (usually at the end of the skirt)... Thought I would try printing from the SD card to check to see if it was a connectivity issue, but have the same problem, except the extruder would quit but the X,Y,Z would keep moving until I paused)... I even tried a different file, (the hair comb from the library) and it wouldn't even make one pass around the skirt before stopping.

Purged and switched back to PLA and it's running flawlessly again @ 210c ext, and 50c bed temps.

My only guess (based on the Barcacules early Robo 3d printer video's I've watched) is that the Arduino board may be overheating causing the fail? My R1 does have the bottom cover so I would guess that this makes the overheating problem worse if this is indeed the case...

I purchased a couple fans the other day thinking I may have to try to increase the cooling under the printer.

(Just finished printing the cal cube on PLA as I type this with no issues)

So am I thinking on the right path here? Overheating? I can't seem to find the print log file? I'm not sure if that would even tell me anything?

Thoughts?

#1 Jsn9955, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2015
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Have you increased the max temperatures for the bed and hotend in the firmware?

Odd that it would even start printing if you have not, but want to make sure it is not an obvious issue.

Add a fan to exhaust from the bottom area. I did and mine is a beta (no bottom cover).
    I added it right beside the problematic polyfuses and it pulls air out from under the bed.

3. Jsn9955

Jsn9955 Member

I was going to increase them, but upon looking at the firmware I'm currently running, the max bed temp is set at 85c, and the max extruder temp is set at 285c in the fimware already... The bed temp is questionable whether or not it needs or (or can) go higher for PCABS, but I think the extruder temp is fine.

I guess I'll have to pull the bottom cover off and assess the situation...

No errors when it stops, it just stops and the progress bar on the print just speeds through to the finish in about 1-2 minutes. Hit cancel, Z raises a bit, X homes and from there it's non responsive, I have to disconnect and reconnect to the printer a couple times in the software before it will respond to commands again. From there, it's seemingly back to normal.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, you are far enough away from the extruder max that unless the thermistor is not reading consistently you are not shutting down due to hitting a temperature limit. If you have a way to look at the printer terminal log, search through that for any errors.

All of the software do this a bit differently so I can't advise you on that.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Keep the terminal window open during printing and see if it spits out an error.

7. Jsn9955

Jsn9955 Member

I will the next time I try it... Question, Can I run the hot end at temp without filament in it to simulate a print and see what happens? Or would that damage something?

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah you could theoretically run it without filament, though whatever filament left in the nozzle may start to degrade. It "shouldn't" be an issue, but it could...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.