1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

S3D kills sd card prints on exit?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ben R, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

SO, when I'm printing with repetier or matter control, I can exit and continue printing with SD card. If I exit with S3D it sends a kill command? Of Course I can't see because it quits..

I can unplug the usb cord... so that's an easy fix. but is there a setting I'm not seeing?

Seems kinda ... not S3d like. I mean, its bossy, but generally pretty smart about it and allows negotiation.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I always unplug it then kill it :)

The only way I found to make it work reliably is to NOT do anything from S3D initially other than connect.
    Then have it start the print from the SD card and you should be able to disconnect.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you do anything else (or much of it) from S3D before disconnecting it takes control and seems to want to issue an abort on exit.

4. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

Well... Hopefully my lcd screen gets here soon so i can ditch the usb cable. As it stands, i tried what i think youre talking about. Turned on s3d and hit print from card, then as soon as it started to move, i turned off s3d... Printer received a kill command.

Only thing i figured to do was unplug the usb on the fly. That worked but is a bit unacceptable.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Bummer, that process works for me, but worst case the USB disconnect will work at that point (it won't work if you do much of anything to the printer with S3D). I start S3D, select print from SD card. Pick the model and then kill S3D once the print starts. If I DO ANYTHING other than just connect though, that will not work.

6. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

maybe i'm doing something.. maybe there's a version difference? This is on my windows 8 machine. I haven't tried it on osx or linux... i don't have any old windows around anymore either. My poor little netbook I use for most of my printing runs into problems chugging through some bigger more complex things... have to transfer gcode from something with more cores. but with S3D the export and import of settings is a snap.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

We need to log an enhancement with S3D to offer a disconnect button.
    I think I am on the latest S3D drop and this is a Windows 8.1 machine (but I have not updated either recently so it may be off a minor version on either of those).

In the interim I guess, unplug it. At least that works. It took a while for me to find a process that worked, it shouldn't be that hard.

8. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

There is a diconnect button... But it sends a kill command. Worth a note to s3d. I'll do that. Maybe we're missing something.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, I meant a disconnect 'and live' button :)
    Maybe they need to call it 'disconnect and print' or something...

10. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

I searched around the internet a bit... I 'm not a lawyer, I don't get paid to sort through various fora searching for precedent. See others complaining, but no resolution easily found. I wrote them a support ticket asking the question.

I also searched through the options. I don't see anything demanding a shut down.

Also.. you get the temperature settings to stick? I keep having to change mine back to the right temps. Er... pretty sure.. at least when I switch materials and back.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I do not set the temps or anything in S3D when doing this. Slice it with temps you want and copy the gcode to SD card then...

Launch
    Connect
    Start print from SD card.

Anything else will cause S3D to turn the printer off if you disconnect it.

12. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

SO.. 2 things..
    First.. Got a reply from S3D (below) apparently a known ... function.
    USB promised us hot swapping, but, we don't do it like it promised. Just shift paradigm and unplug the wire I guess.

2nd thing. Got my $10 ramps smart controller so.. its no longer an issue. Don't need to plug in the computer to start a print. I can do the heavy lifting slices with my big desktops and copy to the ***BONUS- full size SD card. *** so killing a few birds with the above mentioned stones

"
    Thank you for contacting Simplify3D support. I'd be happy to assist you with your Robo 3D. I've actually been posting recently on the Simplify3D thread on the RoBo forums but have been very busy with emails more recently, I haven't checked the Simplify3D thread in a bit. I have been in correspondence with user Mike Kelly though who also emailed support.

When printing off of SD card, whether on a printrbot simple, polar 3D printer, Robo 3D, MakerGear, etc, we typically will place the file on the SD card, plug the SD card into the printer, connect a USB cable, start the print off the SD card, then unplug the USB cable. Unplugging the USB cable will not cause any damage to your microprocessor or risk any print changes.

Using the disconnect button and terminating the program will stop the print though, you are correct.

Regards,"

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Ah. Feature. Not failure. ;)