1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Scale

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by joea, Nov 14, 2019.

1. joea

joea Active Member

Using MatterControl. 1.5, which told me there was a printer firmware upgrade available. Installed it and ran into a scale problem. Eventually resolved that by reverting, exporting the EEPROM, updating again and importing the data.

However, I am now wondering if the scale is correct, or if I am misreading the sample prints provided by MC.

Are the spec'd in MM? Are the values seen in the Edit window of the part meaningful in the physical realm? That is, if X shown a 25.4 should I expect a part to measure 1 inch in the X axis?

For instance, the calibration circle object seems to want to be 5.51 inches in diameter, yet the part created is only about 2.7(mumble) which works out to approximately 1/2 scale as I see it.

If that is correct, it suggests the "steps per inch" in the EEPROM need further tweaking.

2. joea

joea Active Member

OK, strike most of that. Turns out I had powered off the printer to clear a filament jam and just saw the EEPROM had reverted to previous settings. I don't think I did that accidentally. Is there a problem actually saving the changes?

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

When upgrading firmware, you must also manually clear existing EEPROM or it will retain the old settings, so clear it M502 followed my M500 set it up the way you want it then do another M500 to store the settings.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

==== EEPROM GCodes ====
    M500 Store current settings in EEPROM for the next startup or M501.
    M501 Read all parameters from EEPROM. (Or, undo changes.)
    M502 Reset current settings to defaults, as set in Configurations.h. (Follow with M500 to reset the EEPROM too.)

So after firmware is fixed you need the M502 and an M500 at some point for them to work.

5. joea

joea Active Member

I presume these are issued via the "terminal" feature?

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yep, that would be the one in MatterControl (other slicers/host programs call it different things)

7. joea

joea Active Member

I'll just mark this resolved and deal with it on the other thread, to avoid, rather reduce, confusion.