1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Screen ghosting

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by WheresWaldo, Nov 11, 2017.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Maybe I am the only one that noticed this so far, since I haven't or might have missed any other reports. I leave my R2 on for days at a time and have noticed that there is definite ghosting of previous screen layouts on the printer when I actually go and use the control on the LCD. I can't believe I am the only one seeing this.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I have not seen it on the C2 one, but that is a somewhat smaller screen

3. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

It isn't exactly burn-in because if you turn off the printer overnight it appears to completely disappear. Maybe just a quirk of the screen technology.

4. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

This might be a shielding problem on the video cable.

Flat suppression sleeve

If it's a shielding problem, then it will go away if you turn off everything else electronic around you. You might also troubleshoot it by bringing a magnet near the video cable to see if it changes what's on the screen (affecting the ghosting) or temporarily wrapping the cable in a cocoon of aluminum foil to look for changes.

Your "it seems to go away if I turn it off overnight" might just be something circumstantial like... you also turned off something electronically noisy like your HP Inkjet printer during that same interval.

This ghosting would be characterized by the unwanted effects moving.

If they don't move then that's pixel persistence. Given Apple's suggestion, then a fix might be to turn off the printer via the LCD screen and let it grind on that white background screen for an hour or so to let that overtake any individual pixel persistence from previous stuff.

#4 OutsourcedGuru, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  5. John Wohlfeil

John Wohlfeil Member

When I have my R2 printing for several days, I do sort of remember the screen starting to look a little weird. You really notice when you turn off the printer and the screen goes black - but nothing seemed "wrong." But, I will take a closer when I get it going for a few days.

6. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Never noticed it, but I've never run it more than 24h in a row, maybe 30h but only once or twice.

Had the UI crash on me a couple of times though (frozen and unresponsible LCD, but still printing and web interface fine. Finished the print and rebooted from web UI.

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I think it might be mitigated by using the config_hdmi_boost parameter in /boot/config.txt.

OutsourcedGuru likes this.
  8. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member