1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Setting z-offset on R1+

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Eric Viglotti, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Eric Viglotti

Eric Viglotti Member

Hello,

Lately I have become accustomed to the R2, but now going back to debugging my R1+ with my newly setup Simplify3D installation, I am trying to determine how to adjust the z-offset.

When I go into the control panel in the attached picture and go to Motion -> Z-offset, it said -0.70 (specifically with the negative sign). However, when I go to adjust it to a different value, it only has 0.50 (positive) up through only larger positive numbers, nothing negative.

Furthermore, I might be imagining things, but it also doesn't seem to affect anything. For example, I had it on 0.80 (positive), then I selected "Store Memory", turned off the machine and came back and it was indeed set to that, but the print looked the same on the first layer with the nozzle very close to the bed. Just for effect, I moved it to 1.16 (positive) and still it looked much the same.

Am I on the right track with how to set this? FYI no matter what I select, the screen always looks like the attached, which I assume is because of the "G1 Z0.180 F1000" line in the gcode spit out by S3D, though I can't seem to find anywhere where that was specified in S3D at all for it to put that in the gcode.

Any experience or thoughts are welcomed on this!

Attached Files:

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

no. With stock firmware (I'm assuming you have stock firmware?) the z offset is set in the start up script section (scripts tab in your .fff).

should read :

G28; home all axis
    M565 Z-1.0; set z offset for autolevel
    G29; Autolevel dance

the Z-1.0 is the default number and likely too high. You do not want to set a global offset IMO.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. Eric Viglotti

Eric Viglotti Member

Thanks much Geof. I do have stock firmware, but I'm really not a fan of doing the z-offset in the slicer because I want to be able to change it globally as I tweak performance and not have to update each file. What's so odd is yesterday I was doing the above steps and it wasn't working (and I swear I was doing the "save memory" and checking) but now it appears to be affecting the print. I had it at 1.16 and it was too high and I moved it to 1.0 and now it's fine. So I guess that really is the place I do affect things globally, but I'm still lost on what it was a negative number on the screen before and now I can't select anything but positive numbers. In a way it doesn't matter as it's working now, just a bit odd.

Thanks!

Geof likes this.
  4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Most would advise to do it in the slicer as global does funny stuff lije your describing but if it works it works ! :)

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

As long as it is done via the M565 it shouldn't matter if it is done in the slicer or where ever.
    A generic global offset (i.e. all Z values bumped) will not have the correct effect since the M565 is consumed by the autoleveling code and impacts the leveling offsets... as calculated. It will not be the same everywhere :)

Geof likes this.