1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved Shifting Layers in Y axis

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by CrazyCat, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Rwalker

Rwalker Member

Hi Mike,

Do you have a tutorial somewhere for replacing them? Or can you identify what screws get the bearings off the carriage.

Thank you,

Rian

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Watch this to learn how to assemble the X rails

When you get the extruder carriage off the bearings are press fit in place. You can use a vice and a tube or something to receive the bearings as you push a new one in from the other side.

Rwalker likes this.
  3. SheepJeep

SheepJeep New Member

Hi just found this post. I'm also having issues with x-axis shifting. I sent Team Robo an email and they told me to level out the X-axis by lowering the Z-Axis to 1-2mm above the plate. Tried that but didn't help. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

Attached Files:

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If the X (or Y) axis jumps or shifts during a print (Assuming the model is not bad) is almost always caused by a loose drive component.
    1) The belt itself might be too loose. That will cause the drive to skip/jump teeth.
    2) one of the pulleys it runs though is sticky or loose/wobbling.
    3) one of the drive pinions on the motor shaft is loose.

Those are the most obvious culprits. In some cases it can be caused by a mechanical obstruction (cable is getting caught or tangled on something else while that axis is trying to move).

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Could be belt skip or binding on the X bearings. Are you able to move the carriage freely by hand with the power off?

6. CrazyCat

CrazyCat Member

Hey there, I have removed the carriage and one of the linear bearings is definitely bad and missing a whole row of balls. I'm working on getting my hands on a vice to press the new bearings in that robo sent me. Hopefully this will solve my issue yay!

Mike Kelly likes this.
  7. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

Easy press in with a c clamp. Ia vise is admittedly easier. Tapping them in and out With a hammer and plastic drift works easily too.

8. CrazyCat

CrazyCat Member

Hey there, thanks for the c clamp idea it worked beautifully. I have reassembled but am having an issue where when I slide it to the right it screeches which may be a lube issue, but it also causes the left side to raise up off of the bolt. I have tried making sure it is level on both sides but this does not seem to resolve the issue. Any ideas?

9. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

Rise up off the bolt? I did find they needed an initial lubrication.

10. CrazyCat

CrazyCat Member

By rise up I mean as i slide the carriage from left to right the left side that rides on the rods rises upwards

11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

A video might be best

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

If the motors aren't working in unison it's probably a loose set screw on the helical couplers