1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Shuddering/jittering; bumpy on curved edges

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by mediaguru, Jan 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, that is the thing. All of the slicers have their own algorithms and each one tends to do things a wee bit different.
    Never hurts to try another one.

2. mediaguru

mediaguru Member

Going to give Cura slicer a try, it's the only thing left I can try.

if i knew Simplify would solve the problem, I'd invest in it. But since there's no way of knowing, it would suck to spend the money and get no better quality....

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I agree, they are sadly in need of something that allows one to try it.

If you want I can slice a model for you and send you the GCode, BUT (caveat) I don't have an R1 so you would need to modify the startup GCode to do the auto-leveling.

4. mediaguru

mediaguru Member

Yes, exactly! Ok... I'm remodeling my basement, but after this it is whistle time using Cura engine

(Fwiw, i was under the assumption that MatterControl and Repetier are just loaders, interfaces... whereas the slicers themselves are the gcode-generating algorithms like MatterSlice, Slic3r, and Cura?

5. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

that's correct. cura, matterslice, and slic3r are all actual slicers. simplify has their own slicer.
    You can definitely send mark your model to slice. Just delete his start gcode from the file when he sends it to you and replace it with yours. Everything else should be fine. The bed leveling stuff is in the start gcode.

6. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

If they don't do a try before you buy its only a matter of time before pirates get their hands on it. I have tried Simplify and it was too big of a step for me, I'm still working on the basics.

7. mediaguru

mediaguru Member

Wait, so if mine is ROBO3DR1V2, does that mean I don't have the autoleveling version? If so, what is the point of the 9-point calibration before prints?

8. mediaguru

mediaguru Member

Also... how can I force MatterControl to re-generate slices for a model? I find that if I have a model in the library that has already been sliced before, it doesn't give me a "Generate" button to re-slice it. For example, the Whistle doesn't even bother to slice with Cura (it just says it is 0 layers, and doesn't print); and there is no Generate button which is normally used to force slicing...

9. mediaguru

mediaguru Member

Well, when I try CuraEngine slicer in MatterControl, it doesn't work. It just says "Preparing to slice model" forever. This is even for small models like the whistle, wrench, keychain. Guess I might have to try downloading some more software... (Am I the only one who actually likes MatterControl? It has a few issues, like hiding buttons unless I maximize the window... but otherwise I find it very easy to use, which Repetier scared me away from because it looks so clunky and unintuitive)

10. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

This is why I am still using MatterControl. it seems easy and mostly straight forward.

11. mediaguru

mediaguru Member

Trying a Cura print now (expored Gcode and imported to MatterControl, didn't bother trying straight from Cura)

I don't have high hopes, since there is no Robo preset and I had to define everything myself...

Anybody have recommended settings (for PLA) in Cura?

12. mediaguru

mediaguru Member

Just realized, it isn't going to have the correct start Gcode for the Robo and auto-calibration... any easy way I can copy/paste that from somewhere?

Where do I find the default start code currently used in my printer? (I'm not a idiot, am actually a computer programmer... but a bit of a n00b with Gcode and 3d printers in general)

#32 mediaguru, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2015
  13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

MatterControl hides it a bit, under slice settings > Printer with show all settings enabled > Custom G-code

There you'll find the startup and end gcode. Basically you just need to add the G29 command.

This is the best reference I've come across for G-code. Can be a bit confusing with the different firmwares out there:

http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.