1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Simplify 3D can't home the Z-axis, might be a switch issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Kaan, Sep 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaan

Kaan Member

Well, after much experimentation, the printer prints great with MatterControl, so I abandoned Simplify 3D for now (at large prints, the nozzle is extremely precise, the Z-rods move during in-layer movements) (so the calculations probably offset the switch activation differences)

I've created a feature request for autoleveling on Simplify3D forums

Until they implement it, I don't think Simplify 3D is too useful with Robo 3D R1

Thanks a lot for all your help and input and if anyone has time to pitch in, here is that post: http://www.forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1412&p=5199#p5199

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Manually level it. It really isn't that hard. :)

At least MC has improved (I was playing with it today) and as long as you don't need supports ...
    It generally seems OK.

Did you try using the startup Gcode for auto leveling via the firmware?

3. Kaan

Kaan Member

Yes, it probes at 9 points with Simplify 3D, doesn't level
    At MatterControl, it probes at 3 points

How do you level it manually? Since it's a 3 dimensional issue

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Same as the original Robo I would imagine--no, wait, easier since there is no screw adjustment.
    You can define a Z offset for the startup. You would need to fiddle with it some to find out what that value is. Some 1 layer test prints would nail it down I'd think.

Assuming the bed itself (the glass) is not wildly out of order, that should work. Granted, the 9 point auto-leveling is better and if you have really large prints (and you might if memory serves) then the auto leveling is more critical for you.

5. Kaan

Kaan Member

Yes, but the issue isn't just Z, it's the change of Z with changing X/Y

When the X axis moves 200mm's - the Z offset should change significantly, same for Y (the bed isn't angled with the X/Y plane)

That's why I was able to build small things, with a constant offset, however larger things failed

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, that is what I thought I remembered--you needed the tight tolerance and your bed is off-kilter.
    Mine is off my about .1 mm from one end of the Y to the other (the X is flat all across). If I don't need that much space I just print in the middle.

So if my head it correctly positioned at Y zero then at Y max mine is 0.1 mm too high (to be clear).

If I DO need it I manually level the one end with some extra tape.

7. Kaan

Kaan Member

That's what I was intending to do, however switching to MatterControl after all these trials just felt great :)

It would be great if it was possible to use the Simplify 3D slicer on MatterControl, currently using Slic3r, not too bad

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

But you can.

You can slice it with simplify and save the GCode and either load it off the SD card or via MC.

9. Kaan

Kaan Member

Good to hear :)
    I will try that, hope MatterControl will be able to insert the autolevel routines

10. regal81455

regal81455 New Member

I just bought Simplyfy3d last night -- Ill be fiddling with it tonight -- wanted to make sure you -- you've tried the M565 Z offset command and G29 Autocalibrate bed codes and they didn't work? These codes certainly fixed my issues and worked in CURA. In Simplyfy3D there is a button called "Edit Process Settings" and under it is scripts tab where custom starting Gcode can be entered -- is this where you tried to add the commands?

11. Kaan

Kaan Member

Yes I've tested them extensively, however didn't test different values of M565's Z offset

Did you find a value that worked for you by trial and error?

Also have you tried large prints / verified that angle imbalances are being automatically offset?

12. regal81455

regal81455 New Member

@Kaan -- Ive successfully used the Z offset now within the process settings -- you can go to the GCODE tab, mark the Z offset as needed ( mind you a negative # will lower the head towards the bed and a positive will raise it ). Then you need to hit select models button at the bottom and apply it to the models you want those process settings to be used with -- you have to do this with every model you work with -- the process settings don't automatically apply when you hit the prepare model for print button. Ive added the G29 code to my custom settings so the bed autocalibrate as well -- you can actually see this work cuz the unit does its autocalibration and then right before it starts printing will ( in my case ) raise the head.

13. regal81455

regal81455 New Member

FYI -- I don't use the M565 command anymore....

14. Kaan

Kaan Member

I've also done the things you did, didn't work for me, have you printed something large?

Do you see the Z-rods move while printing a layer?
    (Otherwise the Z-rods only elevate when you are switching to a new layer, however if auto leveling is on, they should move slightly while the X/Y changes)

I also have the V1 as the firmware, have yet to upgrade to V3 Mike sent over the forum, I'm too lazy to re-dive into the arduino world

What is your firmware name?

15. regal81455

regal81455 New Member

Im using firmware V4 actually -- wish I could find V5 thought, it does exist somewhere....

And yes my my z rods move ever so slightly back and forth as the print head is doing it's thing on any given layer...

16. Kaan

Kaan Member

lol, I wonder why I have the V1, why matter control doesn't upgrade it itself, and why these firmwares are so mysterious

thanks for the information, it's very helpful

17. regal81455

regal81455 New Member

2 people like this.
  18. regal81455

regal81455 New Member

Oh and be aware I guess V4 has some hot bed temp. limitations so if you're printing with ABS you'll need to set it's default to a higher value -- thats part of the reason why Im wanting V5 lol

2 people like this.
  19. regal81455

regal81455 New Member

Additionally, please keep in mind that MC is on V1.1.6 now -- the firmware, of course, is completely seperate from the software version.

I was able to force the MC update by going to the file tab and IIRC the update or about button. It should update if you push it too but I don't like MC's 3pt software leveling so I don't use MC at all anymore.

2 people like this.
  20. Invertmast

Invertmast Active Member

Ive been using the M575 and G29 in the startup script of simplify3D for a few weeks now. It works great and works everytime consistently, which i cant say the same about MC, every third to fifth print it would refuse to so the autolevel routine, S3D does ot everytime.
    Its so reliable now, i can actually start a print and walk away before the first layer is done with no concerns.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.