1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Slic3r PE R2 Profile

Discussion in 'Software' started by WheresWaldo, Dec 17, 2018.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

So I have been going back and forth between the new Simplify3D 4.1 and Slic3r PE 1.41. The more I use Slic3r PE the more I like it, easier to implement variable line heights, worked perfectly on my R2 using the Prusa filament profiles for PLA (so far the only filament I have tested). Automatic uploading to OctoPrint with automated starting of the print, without jumping through hoops. So if anyone was thinking of trying it out Slic3r PE I have included my printer settings, they normally go in the default users directory AppData/Roaming/Slic3rPE/printer, just uncompress and place it in that directory.

Attached Files:

2. TransBat

TransBat Member

I've been having a bit of trouble with Simplify 3D 4.1.1 - and keep having to revert to 4.0.1 so I don't get slicing anomalies. Combine with the recent Twitter storm about S3D ignoring users who can no longer download new profiles for those who test NUMEROUS printers, and the fact that version 5.0 coming later this year will be a pay for upgrade - it's definitely time top try out free Slicers again :mad:

Waldo, thank you for providing this printer profile! Have you had any issues using it, or some general usage tips for Slic3r PE? How hard would it be to modify this config file to be used for a C2? I'd presume just adjusting bed size would be the key difference, and the heated bed of course :D

3. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Yes easy to convert to the C2, I am basically using the Generic filament profiles with just extrusion multiplier adjustment. Use this model and the accompanying Google Sheet to verify your extruder settings. Typical extrusion width on AUTO is about 15 - 20% of the orifice size.
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1622868
    https://goo.gl/kbuZMi

Just print two, then measure and put those measurements in the Google sheet, adjust and print two more. I have completely given up on S3D and do not recommend it to anyone that asks.

TransBat likes this.
  4. TransBat

TransBat Member

Thanks @WheresWaldo If I switch materials, from let's say PLA to PETG, would it be a wise idea to run the calculator again? I typically haven't adjusted my extrusion values when I switch materials between my materials. I'm eager to give your profile a go on both my R2 and C2 :cool:

I bought Simplify3D just over a year ago (didn't like the original Robo Cura), and while I was even more of a newb back then, their interface and such let me learn a great deal about settings and adjustments, because so many in the maker community would reference things as S3D would list them. But lately, between huge slicing bugs causing weird print oddities in their last couple of updates, and their outright ignoring several well documented issues from various makers - I can't support their current choices. I don't mind paying for software when a company/team puts forth a good effort with support and a well made product - but as of late, I no longer feel S3D qualifies :oops:

I am still very much a rookie in the 3D community, and realize S3D has (or had) an important role in the improvement of 3D slicers - I don't wish to bash them. But I do find it sad that the path they've taken doesn't seem to aline with where they came from.

5. TransBat

TransBat Member

And random thought - what build plate sizes do you use for the R2 or C2? I know the marketing numbers don't quite match the actual build size.

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

R2 is 196 X 196 X 250 mm, at least that is what I use, don't know about the C2.

You need to run the calculator for every different type of material, in Slic3r it is filament dependent. Make sure youi use the Prusa addition of Slic3r, Josef Prusa has a couple of full time people working on updating the Slic3r code and his additionas are really moving slicer tech forward.

7. TransBat

TransBat Member

Haven't had as chance to dial everything in yet, but thanks for your continued support @WheresWaldo ;)

Cannot wait to see how well the latest stable performs, I keep hearing good things about Slic3r PE (Prusa Edition) and IdeaMaker, so I was stoked to find out someone had taken the time to experiement and poster the Slic3r PE settings

8. RoboticsRob

RoboticsRob Member

I'm starting to look at moving way from Cura for my R2's also... Any update on this @WheresWaldo, if you've got a newer revised set of settings for the updated Prusa Slicer for the R2?

Otherwise I'll take a stab at it and post my findings if successful.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. TransBat

TransBat Member

I cannot speak for @WheresWaldo profile, but I have adapted the Slicer PE profile he shared and have tweaked it a bit over time as it evolved into Prusa Slicer. It is by no means perfect, but I have been very happy with the print quality from both my R2 and C2 since making the switch from S3D over a year ago. Suggestions and input are always welcome ;)

Hopefully, this will provide you with a good starting point. I believe the export also includes my .15mm layer height print settings for my PLA profile that has worked well overall for my eSun PLA+ and Matter Hackers Build series filaments.

Attached Files:

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. RoboticsRob

RoboticsRob Member

Thanks! I'll be sure to check this out when I start experimenting with PrusaSlicer. Yesterday I printed a series of 11 parts with a single change to the slicing settings in Cura to try and solve the issue I'm having, which I've determined is Cura's gcode. (or something I'm telling it to do while generating said gcode)

TransBat likes this.
  11. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

Waldo, will this work with the "prusaslicer" labeled software e.g. 2.4.0 ?