1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Slicing Tips from Richrap

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Printed Solid, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

2 people like this.
  2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

They brought up a good point that using a better slicer is a better alternative than spending hours fine tuning slic3r

3. Bill Monroe

Bill Monroe Member

I've yet to get cura to work.. Slic3r has been working awesome...

4. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

I do NOT like the current version of supports for Slic3r. They stick great, but I'm just not getting good results (messy first layer on what was supposed to be supported, and sometimes, can't remove supports.

What fun alternatives are there? I find matterslice to work well. But not so much matter control. I find myself using several print programs and slicers depending on the task I need to perform and which one will do it best.

5. Printed Solid

Staff Member

I pretty consistently hear Simplify3D as the best all around option. Easily removable supports. More powerful support and slicing options.
    It's a paid program though.

Another option is to use meshmixer to generate your own support. For the Robo, I advise adjusting settings so that the supports are a little meatier.

6. Bill Monroe

Bill Monroe Member

Ya, I tried the "Big 3" slicers, all had good stuff, none were the best all around. I really like the hexagon/honeycomb infill that slic3r makes.. I miss that.
    I bought S3D and have been using it exclusively now.. Its a little better support-wise and you can manually insert them but still, the supported surface isn't perfect. It does let you fool with the fine setting though, like distances from the surface and such.
    I'm guilty of including supports in the model too.. sometimes that's what it takes.
    I think I just got uber-spoiled from using the Statasys Machines..
    I'm persuing a two-nozzle upgrade now so I can try using dissolvables for support. Best results I think would be with a support structure that is as smooth as the model surface but I'm not certain yet any of our slicers will generate that.. hope so..

#6 Bill Monroe, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2015
  7. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

I bought the s3d this morning after a night long print just could not be separated from the crazy support material Slic3r decided it needed. (i previewed it, frowned and hit print anyway).
    Printing the same thing now (well the one failed part) and well.. where I was pessimistic about slic3rs extra support... simplify3d certainly thinks it can bridge the grand canyon. Just got to that point.... it was wrong.

Added some of my own support.. which is a cool function, we'll see how this goes.

#7 Ben R, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2015
    2 people like this.
  8. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

Yea, its a pretty big downer when your support falls over right before it gets to the thing its trying to support.

9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Might want to experiment with some print settings, I have run a bridge over as much as 4 or 5 inches...

10. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

Indeed indeed. It DID bridge the gap. But not nicely. I admit to not printing many things that needed bridging like this. I havent given it much thought. I just used s3ds handy support software and halved the gap... No problem. 90% better. I think it would have worked with pla or abs. Petg... A little stikier? Something. Looked like someone was tossing fishing line across the room.

11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Ah, well, I have not tried extreme bridging with PETG
    Your Mileage May Vary :)

Certainly kick the cooling fan to warp speed on bridging.

12. Printed Solid

Staff Member