1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Smaller nozzel use?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by PACNOR RC AEROSYSTEMS, Jan 4, 2016.

1. PACNOR RC AEROSYSTEMS

I was going to buy an E3D V6 hot end and these nozzles in a 0.25mm. Can my Robo 3D R1 +Plus print with a nozzel this small or do I have to have a 0.40mm all the time?

This is the stuff I want to upgrade to:

E3D Hardened Nozzle for Abrasive Filament
    E3D V6 Hot End Kit

Don't understand why I can't create links and other people can.

2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

You can use any size E3D V6 nozzle with the Robo, but if you go smaller than .4 things get a bit tricky. I would say below .4 is expert use territory. .25 gets even trickier if you're trying it with a filled material because it is more likely to clog.
    I'd advise considering .25 only for unfilled materials. This would mean that you don't need the hardened steel version and you can stick with brass.
    If you want to do filled materials, go with the .4 or the .8. Personally, I always use .6 or .8 for filled materials as it makes things easier.

PACNOR RC AEROSYSTEMS likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I concur. I have .25 and a .3, I seldom use the .25. I keep the .3 nozzle on the detail printer most of the time and even then you are going to sacrifice speed for detail. The .25 is a really slow printing nozzle if you want to use it correctly.

For detail that fine I defer to SLA or DLP machines since that is their forte (and they are a lot faster at it). If you are doing that level of detail only on occasion then the FDM (the Robo for example) can do it, but it takes testing and tweaking to nail it.

4. PACNOR RC AEROSYSTEMS

Wow thanks guys for the input. Printed Solid has the nozzles for abrasive materials at 0.4mm and 0.8mm. This is good to stuff to know because I have never printed before. I want to make drone parts out of Carbonfil or Nylonfil. I did buy a Robo R1 +Plus bundle with two spools of glow in the dark green and blue PLA.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you are making drone parts I'd suggest the 0.8mm nozzzle (unless you are doing micro drones).
    That is what we use and it makes really sturdy parts. CF and Nylon are good materials for that (just be aware that most nylons tend to be flexible so test whichever one you are going to use). I use CF and Alloy910 for most of ours.

6. PACNOR RC AEROSYSTEMS

Thanks guys for all the info! I will be making primarily FPV250 Race Drones.

[​IMG]

mark tomlinson and Printed Solid like this.
  7. Jimmy Husain

Jimmy Husain Member

So do I need to change my speed when going with smaller nozzle? Like right now I am on 60mm/s with 0.4 nozzle. So if going to 0.3 or 0.2 should the speed be decreased too?

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You will need to adjust it, yes. You need to experiment and see what values work best for you,
    For me it was almost a linear relationship (1/2 the size, 1/2 the speed).

Smaller layer heights take longer to build a model so even if the speed were left the same it would still take longer.
    You need to adjust the layer height because at some point the nozzle can't do a good job at a given layer height.

My rule of thumb is to start with layer height near 50% of the nozzle size (your 0.4 nozzle is being sliced most likely with a 0.2 layer height). Again, experimentation is often needed to find the best setting.

WheresWaldo and Jimmy Husain like this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member