1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

So something really bad happend...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Commander Max, Aug 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

My guess is something is wrong with the E0 connection on the board. Did you replace both boards or just the controller board?

2. Commander Max

Commander Max New Member

Only the controller board. I have another board, but it doesn't have all the same connectors. It has spots for them, but no prongs.

3. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

Ok. Looks like you would need to replace your RAMPS 1.4 board. You can buy it from ebay. Just make sure that the board has the prongs and connectors needed.

Keep us posted after you have replaced the new RAMPS 1.4 board.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There you go.
    That looks like a bad ramps board.
    (Nice troubleshooting.)

If not a failed board then something else way more subtle is awry.
    You can also buy that ramps board from Amazon, SainsMart, lots of places.

5. Commander Max

Commander Max New Member

Don't count your eggs before they hatch.

When I got the replacement card I got the rest of the parts to replace the controls, ramps and drivers.
    I replaced the whole thing, sadly same issue allover again.

I'm sure you guys will understand my wanting to put the machine aside for a bit. Otherwise I might send it through a window. Like the old Discount Tire commercial.

I've got an e-mail into Robo tech support as to where to send it. Perhaps it's covered over warranty. I only received the machine in late July.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, with those symptoms you don't have a lot of options for a failure point.
    If they are willing to deal with it under warranty, more power to ya.

It is possible that a wire harness/connection to/from the RAMPS board is at fault. One would assume you had already ruled that out ;)

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

We were, after all, troubleshooting it sight unseen.

8. Commander Max

Commander Max New Member

Understood, I've found troubleshooting by typing isn't very effective. It's easy to miss that one little clue. Plus I'm spending more time typing than working on the machine.

Everything worked when I put them in different locations. I couldn't see anything else to do. I think it needs a tech who knows what they are doing, might take them two seconds to fix it. Then again, I've been able to stump experts with technical problems. I get bum luck at times.

Thanks guys for taking the time, I thought I might have had this one licked.

9. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

Max - Sending it to Robo 3D for repair sounds like a better option for you. Understand that you want to step away from it for a while. I would have done the same thing by stepping away for awhile when I first had my printer. :)

Just keep in mind that even you will receive a fully working printer. Eventually, some of the mechanical parts will be thrown off their calibrations after use. Every user will eventually have to face different kind of issues arising in the future.

By going through these troubleshooting exercises, hope that they would be a big help in future troubleshooting when the printer runs out of its warranty.

10. Technidyne

Technidyne Active Member

I just had an intermittent Anesthesia Ventilator Engine ....pissed me off for a month and a half ....as I started working on it it would suddenly run fine and the problem could not be replicated, a week later same issue all over again, man did I swap out stuff ....finally found it, it was a tiny board connector issue!
    Step away from it for a few days, and get back in the ring fighting! ....you'll find it ;)

11. Commander Max

Commander Max New Member

Actually this is my second 3D printer. But that came with a service contract, but the service was poor. For 4K a year I was hoping for better.
    I would expect parts to wear out, mechanics isn't a problem for me. I've designed and built several tools, one is a CNC router. Giant by comparison to these printers. Learned a lot, and can tap holes in my sleep.

But electronics, ugh.

12. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

$4k/year for service contract, you must have a very fancy professional 3D printer. I'm sure a lot of us are envy of you now. ;-)

13. Commander Max

Commander Max New Member

It was a fancy printer, don't be envious. Today it's no better than scrap metal. It's technology is outdated, by the machines you guys are playing with.
    I wish I took the money and bought a luxury car. I could still drive the car today.

14. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

I'm relatively new to 3D printers (5 months) so I do not know what professional 3D printer technology was like a few years back.

For such expensive machine even if it's outdated, I would imagine that they use expensive precision mechanical parts for x, y, and z axis. Those would make precise parts. The only things I guess have improved a lot are the controller boards and software.

15. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I didn't see anyone suggest this. But your extruder is hot when you try and use the extruder right?

2 people like this.
  16. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

17. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

@Commander Max, you mentioned that you haven't sent your printer back to Robo3D yet.

Last time, we thought that there might be some problem with your RAMPS 1.4 board E0 extruder connection. Ziggy thought it might be oxidation on the pin which caused bad connection.

It's been quite a while. Please let us know if you have try anything from where we left off last time?

Hopefully others can help find out the problem with your printer.

18. Commander Max

Commander Max New Member

I figured I would pop back in and pass along my latest adventure with Robo.
    I set up an appointment with Brian at tech support, when the Z axis motors were going in different directions. He said send it back.
    If you guys remember me swapping the board with a new one, he asked me to include it. Since it didn't make any difference in the machines behavior, they wanted to take a look.
    I packed up the machine and the board I bought, and shipped it back.
    This was back in very early October, I got the machine back in late November.
    I hooked it up, and tried to print with ABS.
    The machine wouldn't get to temperature, it would get to 60 then drop in temp.
    So I try to print with PLA, after the bed leveling sequence, it would print about a quarter inch above the bed(that's where all this started). I tried all I could, then I turned over the machine.
    There was the board I bought, installed in the machine with a mix of driver boards.
    Something was missing, the cooling fan. There is why I couldn't print ABS.
    I contacted tech support again, as I'm sure all of you can imagine I was quite upset.
    And feeling very ripped off(I should have gotten another board and drivers back), they said it was miscommunication and confusion on their part. They will send out new parts, and are very sorry.
    I had had it at that point, I said send me a new machine or give me my money back. Their response, was a prepaid Fedex label and they will send me a new machine.
    I shipped the machine back the next day.
    That was on November 25. As of this posting I haven't heard a word from Robo.

I'll post when I do.

19. Jerry RoBo 3D

Jerry RoBo 3D Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Max, I'm sorry we have not yet taken care of you. I will look into this matter on Sunday when I get back to San Diego. I'll have an answer for you by Monday.

20. Commander Max

Commander Max New Member

That Monday came and went, I haven't heard a thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.