1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Spare fans with assembled printer?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by scuttle_butt, Jul 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scuttle_butt

scuttle_butt New Member

I've just received my assembled printer and in the box there were 2 fans in sealed anti-static bags.... Am I suppose to install them or are they just spares?

2. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

one is for cooling the hot end peek, one maybe for part cooling fan.

peek i recommend installing , part cooling fan is optional. (you could also use to cool your ramps board)

3. scuttle_butt

scuttle_butt New Member

Thanks for the help. Excuse my ignorance but would you happen to know where the instructions are to install the fan.

4. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

I only got one, Maybe you accidentally got a extra, Or I accidentally only got one (I'm pretty sure they where only sending one)

5. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

You should have only gotten one I believe. Probably just got an extra. There is a fan mount file uploaded to the forums if you need it to attach it to the printer.

6. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

at least you guys got one, I didn't' even receive one so I used my own.

7. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

you need a mount to install the fan. like the one harry posted. depending on what your using the fan for.

if your using it for a part cooling fan, then wire the fan to D9 on the ramps board, red to positive, black to negative.
    now the neat part: D9 connection is ramps controlled ie.. you can adjust the speed of the fan via the slider in rephost. It also is automatically controlled during the print to turn on/off or speed up or slow down. depending on your print settings.

if your wiring as a peek fan,
    the red and black wires go directly to 12v power source, you want the peek fan to be actively cooling your hot end during prints so basically it stays on all the time.

here is an example: my fans are different though. but you get the idea. i'm using two fans.
    CIMG2682.JPG

8. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

I would of traded a fan for getting my printer as early as you did Cambo ;)

3 people like this.
  9. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Haha Seshan

10. John Rygg

John Rygg Active Member

For those of use that got an assembled printer is there instructions on how to wire the peek fan?
    I see in the post above that it goes to the 12v power source , but is there a pin out for the source somewhere ?

11. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

hey john, i just wired mine to the 12v power supply lead coming from the power supply

12. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey John, it goes to the D9 Slot on the RAMPS board. It is for the prints also.

13. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

d9 slot is for the part cooling fan, that slot is gcode controlled. You want the peek fan to stay on all the time so direct wired to 12v source is recommended.

14. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey Cambo, the fan that comes with the printer, is for the prints, that you want GCode Controlled. The question asks about the default that came with the printer, that is the Parts Cooling fan.

15. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

"For those of use that got an assembled printer is there instructions on how to wire the peek fan?
    I see in the post above that it goes to the 12v power source , but is there a pin out for the source somewhere ?"

he is asking about how to wire it as a peek fan above, the fan is universal and can be used for either hotend peek cooling, parts cooling fan or even ramps cooling fan. He may have more than one fan like me. If he is wiring for a peek fan it needs to be on actively cooling the peek. In my description above its says peek fan goes directly to 12v source or whatever voltage your fan runs (which is what he is referring to) and part cooling fan goes to D9 on the ramps board.

16. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Cambo, I believe and we can let him clarify he was referring to the fan for the parts. I know the fan can be used for both, but it is supposed to be for the parts.

17. John Rygg

John Rygg Active Member

Thank you both. I have one fan that came with the printer. I do not know if it is supposed to be used for parts or peek? which is the first priority ?

also since I did not put the printer together is there a diagram for the RAMPS board ?
    thank you for your help
    John

18. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

Can be either or; but you need a fan bracket or make your own. As stated above if wiring for a part cooling fan it goes to D9 on the ramps board, red positive, black negative. If wiring for peek fan it goes directly to power source. Everything is labeled on the ramps board, diagram can also be obtained from the ramps 1.4 wiki page. http://reprap.org/wiki/RAMPS_1.4

I would install a peek fan as priority then worry about part cooling fan later.

PLA requires a peek cooling fan or else you will jam up your hot end. Especially the robos since it doesn't have cooling ducts, or fins like the original jheads. I've used a fan on mine since my first print and I haven't had any problems. Still using the original because I've only been printing PLA and ABS with mine.

Some users have already jammed there's. The first thing I ask is "do you have a fan on your hot end to cool the peek?"

Here are some links to discussion why a fan on your hot end is necessary for PLA. These are just two links, there are more discussions about this on other forums if you search and the general consensus is that a fan for cooling the peek on your hot end, is a must have for PLA but dont just take it from me research.

http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?1,193985,194023
    http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?1,195542,195619
    http://seemecnc.org/wordpress/?p=50

19. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

I would stick with using the fan for what it was shipped for, the parts cooling fan.

20. Patrick Elliott

I didn't get a fan. Should I have one? pla-only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.