1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Splitting an stl object into multiples

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by dailyxe, Apr 18, 2018.

1. dailyxe

dailyxe New Member

Hey guys, I've got a really cool stl file of a Johnny 5 robot that I'd like to print. The problem is that there are tons of small parts hanging off of him that are going to need supports. I'd really like to be able to chop the body up into multiple pieces to print more efficiently then assemble them later. If I'm being really ambitious I'd like to chop off an arm etc, and create a peg/socket connection point for easy reassembly.

All I've got to work with is the stl file. Is there an easy way to get this done? What software/method would you recommend? Thanks!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I have managed to avoid trying to do CAD work with STL files (since they are really just a surface model). But MeshMixer is supposed to offer features to do this. Someone else I am sure has done this and can chime in on specifics.

dailyxe likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ditto. If its a .stl, I dont work the model. The most I will do is plane cuts (mesh mixer or netfabb) if the model is to large and needs no strength.

dailyxe likes this.