1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Spool Bracket

Discussion in 'Projects' started by 1d1, May 21, 2013.

1. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Hey guys, here is a design for a spool bracket system for filament spools. The left, taller unit is the stanchion. The middle circle represents a skate bearing that fits into the centering cones on the right. Everything fits onto a 1/4 inch smooth rod and any size spool will fit on the cones (you need four of each assembly). As long as the rods are long enough, any width spool will fit.
    What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Here's a visible view... Filament Spool Mounts.JPG

3. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Revised even further... Any opinions.. please? Revised spool brackets.JPG

4. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey 1d1, those are looking great. Are those other parts printed, if so how? And do you have any prototypes? If so share pictures!

5. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Thanks, Harry - only a design until I get a printer...

6. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Ah Ok! I'll look forward to seeing it in person, I'll try to print one when I get mine too!

7. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Dean, what's the concept on this? Does the filament ride inside the channels on the orange pieces? Can you add in a roll of filament?

When I worked in the wire and cable industry, we used a simpler version of this as a spool payoff for cable assembly that would probably work just fine. The bearings would go on the rods instead of your pulley pieces. Then the spool just sits right on the rods. Works great.
    I've actually just been cludging whatever I can find together. For the really small bore matter hackers spools, I just use a piece of half inch pipe clamped to my bench. For other spools, I have a spool holder on the back of my bot, that is a simple piece of plastic rod. No moving parts. It works fine as well, but it is annoying to have to switch it out when I get smaller diameter spools.

Afnia budget ABS comes on a paperboard spool and is wrapped right out to the edges (bad process) so it probably won't work for this kind of a setup until you spool a little off.

8. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Matt - The spool edges would sit in the grooves on the rollers. With each roller carrying its own bearing, they can be moved sideways (without as much wear as there would be sliding the plastic across a metal rod) and adjust to any width spool. Also, the distance between the rods is not fixed so smaller/larger diameter spools can be easily changed out. The rolling rods would work too - I just hadn't thought of it that way. I'm sure with just a bit more effort I can make it even more complicated. Give me a while...
    That new flexible filament would be an interesting way to construct the rollers as it could encase the bearing and provide a bit of friction to roll the bearing. Flexion in the roller edges might allow something like the Affinia spool to work from the get go.
    Dean