1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Squished Parts

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Chris Szymanski, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Chris Szymanski

Chris Szymanski New Member

Hey guys I have a ROBOR1 and I am printing with CURA 15.04 and everything seems fine except my parts come out squished. I checked my firmware and it seems to be the right steps per mm in the z (i think I have the m8 rods based off other posts) but I have tried both and my part comes out squished in the z direction. Any clue on how I can resolve this?

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Got a picture of what is happening?

3. Chris Szymanski

Yes basically the part comes out 75% in the Z direction. I cant for the life of me find out why. Its like it doesnt want to go but a fraction of a step once it gets a few layers high.

The picture attached is my attept to print two parts. I aligned them on the bed differently and in the z direction on both they are 78% of .5 in. X and Y seem okay just a tiny over extruded.

Chris

Attached Files:

4. Chris Szymanski

Also I noticed that my G code seems right last z step is 12.7 mm (0.5 inch) but the nozzle never gets that high. When I run G code and send it 12.7 mm in the window in goes to the proper height I dont know what is going on.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Sounds like the Z steps are off as @danzca6 mentioned.
    You need to make sure you do not have 5/16 rods because the difference you are seeing is about the difference between 5/16 and 8mm rods and one you do know what size the threads are you need to know exactly what your steps/axis are in the firmware. Post that line from the configuration.h and we can check. It should look like this:

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,2267.72,723.38} // default steps per unit for RoBo 3D R1

(this is the one for an R1 with 8 mm threads)

If you have the 5/16 threads it would be 2560 for the z IIRC.

6. Chris Szymanski

"#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,2560,723.38} // default steps per unit for RoBo 3D R1"

I tried making it 2267.7 but it did the same.
    I am not sure if I rebooted but doesnt the arduino reflash not matter if I do a hard power on and off.

I also closed and restarted cura.

7. Chris Szymanski

I thought my Z steps were off too but when I send it the G1 Z12.7 it goes to the right height

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You must reload the FLASH EEPROM after making any firmware changes or they are ignored.

==== EEPROM GCodes ====

M500 Store current settings in EEPROM for the next startup or M501.
    M501 Read all parameters from EEPROM. (Or, undo changes.)
    M502 Reset current settings to defaults, as set in Configurations.h. (Follow with M500 to reset the EEPROM too.)

So after firmware is fixed you need the M502 and an M500 at some point for them to work.

Geof and KTMDirtFace like this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

This is precisely why I am not a fan of the EEPROM for new users.
    Even the old folks get bitten by this occasionally

Geof, Rigmarol and KTMDirtFace like this.
  10. Chris Szymanski

Wow. I had no clue. Okay I will try this. Thanks

11. Chris Szymanski

I think I have found my problem. When printing the z axis stops moving up. After some research it has been said when the RAMPS board gets too hot the Z axis is prone to stop first because there are two steppers on the Z axis. Took a look at the fan on the RAMPS and it was not spinning very smoothly. So I think i just need to actively cool/upgrade the Ramps cooling. Will let you know

mark tomlinson likes this.
  12. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

With the bottom cover on, that little loud fan is the life blood to keeping things running smoothly it seems. If you take the cover off, it might stay cool enough depending on your room temp. If you are going to replace the fan, go for a quality fan. You might even want to bump it up to a 60mm fan if you can source a thin one.