1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Step motor gear jam

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Khurram Ali, Sep 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khurram Ali

Khurram Ali Member

My step motor started to make noises on certain areas of the x axis. The filament does not extrude real well when it makes that jamming noise.

See video below. It happens whenever the motor is on the left side

2. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Is the nozzle scraping on the painters tape in that area? That could impede the X stepper and also prevent extrusion because the nozzle will be too close and be blocked. I never bothered with painters tape. Hairspray seems easier to me.

2 people like this.
  3. Khurram Ali

Khurram Ali Member

Steve, its not scrapping. The weird thing is that it makes the noise at the same spots everytime.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Is it the belt or the stepper motor itself?
    Only thing I can think of is something is binding the movement (which would be the extruder touching the bed or something impeding the belt).
    Neither of those would directly impact extrusion though so no clue on that symptom.

5. Khurram Ali

Khurram Ali Member

Extruder is not touching the bed because this happens throughout my entire print.
    I did check the belt, I did not see anything wrong with it. You can see in the video that it happens at the same exact x-axis. When it is making a rectangular part, you hear the noise on two points for each layer.

Is there another way to troubleshoot this issue?

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If it is consistent across the X axis (in other words, if it always happens at the same points on the X axis) it has to be belt, pulley or stepper.
    Since the stepper would make multiple revolutions for a single pass of the belt across the X Axis, I am leaning away from the motor mechanically being a problem (but I guess we can't rule it out). No missing teeth from the belt? Pulley not slipping? Belt tension seem correct?

7. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

I'm sure you tried this but when you push the X carriage though that spot by hand do you feel any resistance? When use the host programs (MatterControl, Repetier Host, LCD) manual X movement through that area does the stepper skip?

8. collin

collin New Member

hairspray is awesome too because, not only does it hold really well but it goes on super evenly. Unlike painters tape where the width tolerance is not tight. Not to mention the main benefit that once the print bed cools the parts will almost fall off, avoiding the scenario of a part sticking "too well".

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You adapt pretty quickly and you get really good at (quickly) laying down perfectly aligned strips :)

2 people like this.
  10. collin

collin New Member

been there, I almost broke my printer over and over agsin when my print head was too low. I even bought a build take but I ended landing on hairspray. Also Walgreen's had a 2 for one sale on my hairspray. I'm only halfway through my supply and it coated me only 6 dollars. Also tesseract told me this idk how true it is but, painters tape can acquire a residue from reuse which can cause poor adhesion. Painters tape was easy to learn at first though.

11. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Painters tape seem to be good for beginners since you have a bit of height forgiveness due to the thickness of that tape. It also allowed a cushion for the filament to test on regardless if you were too high or not on your first layer.

It sucked 'cause you have to replace it almost every print.

Hairspray last for a long time. Much preferred.

I had my heat bed fail due to a connection coming loose on the bed. Printing with the bed off made the edges curl. Re-applying a lot Hairspray really helped to get rid if that problem. Although I really laid it in thick just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in Canada

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, I almost always replace the tape (or at least sections of it) every print anyway because getting the model off without destroying the tape it is on is... difficult.

13. collin

collin New Member

I used to have to hit mine with a hammer to get some things off.

14. Khurram Ali

Khurram Ali Member

See the video below. I recorded from the back of the printer. The bolt and the gears behind the motor are not rotating at those points. When I manually move the motor with my hand, I don't feel any resistance.
    The crazy thing is that if I print toward the right of the x-axis, no issues.

15. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

That sounds like a stripped gear.

What append if you move the x axis all the way. Then home. Does it make the noise at the same spot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in Canada

16. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

OK it is the extruder stepper skipping not the X stepper. Strange that it is so consistent and seems to recover at the same place.

Check all four stepper motor wires. Could a short or open in one occur when the cable harness is in a certain position? Manually move the harness around to see if the skipping position changes.

17. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

If the gear is skipping that should be easy to see.

18. Khurram Ali

Khurram Ali Member

If I am not printing and if I move it to x home, then there is no noise.
    It only happens when it is printing. What is a stripped gear?

19. Khurram Ali

Khurram Ali Member

Steve, I did move it with my hand and when I started printing again I did observe the skipping position change.
    It started skipping a little bit to the right.

What do you think it is?

20. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

A stripped gear is one that is has missing or worn teeth. I really doubt the wades gears can be stripped. If they were stripped the worn areas would be very obvious.

So - you say that the position of the skipping changes when you move the wiring harness? If so then like I said earlier there could be an open or short in the stepper wires which is intermittently causing the stepper to malfunction and stop moving.

Here is what I would do:
    1. Heat up the hot end and remove the filament from the extruder.
    2. Use your host program to run the extruder stepper.
    3. While the extruder stepper is running move the wiring harness around to see if and what wires cause the skipping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.