1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Stepper Driver issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Luke, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Luke

Luke New Member

So while trying to start a PVA mold print today I had a strange turn of events happen. First I hit "print" only to find that my extruder motor was not running. I plugged in another stepper cable into the extruder motor, and it worked. I tried switching the cables, so the extruder stepper had a cable I knew worked, still nothing. So this is where things take a turn. I decided to switch the stepper drivers for the extruder and x axis out for one another. It's important to note that when I went to test this the bottom of my printer was open and I had set it on a pair of needle nose pliers without knowing. I find it hard to believe the needle nose was making contact with anything, but unless swapping stepper drivers has something to do with it, it must have been the pliers. SO basically everything went up in smoke..... Literally, when I plugged in my printer and turned it on, it caught fire. When I went to inspect the damage I had inflicted on the underside I could see that the stepper driver for the Y axis was fried. Seriously this thing was freaking toasted. It looked like a Clinton family hard drive, and my whole house smelled like a sony VCR. I didn't switch the Y with anything just the X and extruder. So I am assuming it was the pliers?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

It would sound like you shorted something. Do you have an R1 or an R1+?

in the US ramps boards are cheap online, I perfer the ramps kits with all the parts in them including a controller.

If your under warranty I'd send an email to robo and simply say your board burned up and see what they do?

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is also remotely possible you reversed the stepper drivers when you swapped them (although I have never heard of that causing smoke to leak out, it might).

4. Luke

Luke New Member

Thats what I think. Can I replace the stepper drivers with some generic ones or do I need to go through ROBO to get theirs? The arduino itself seems fine but I don't really know for sure. I am reluctant to plug it into my computer because when it shorted my computer turned off immediately.

I have an R1+ referb. HOWEVER for what ever reason my printers z azis motors share a driver, where as on a regular R1+ I believe they are independent. No warrantee, the reason I have a r1+ referb is because they replaced my R1 that had issues.

5. Luke

Luke New Member

I don't think I did. Unless the bottom set sit in a different orientation than the top. Like I said it was the Y driver that burnt up, and I didn't even move that one.

6. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

The stepper drivers are pretty cheap and you can just get them off of Amazon http://a.co/cH4pqpr. Keep in mind you can also buy the whole kit with arduino mega, ramps, drivers, and full graphics lcd controller for ~$34 http://a.co/5glQ4G3.

Geof likes this.
  7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Can you share a photo of you z motors by the bed ?

8. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I honestly believe this is better to have just one driver instead of 2 for Z. Like Geof was asking, are you sure you have an R1+? If your Z axis by the bed has couplers, then you have the R1.

9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The one driver means that at a minimum the Z will be consistent side-to-side :)

danzca6 likes this.