1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Stepper Smoother

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WheresWaldo, Dec 23, 2017.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

They are in no way being used for back-emf in this usage, rather in a more traditional A/C waveform sort of way. The attempt here is to clean up the waveform that the stepper sees. Two issues with that (my opinion):
    1) square waves are "noisy by nature" cleaning them up is ... not going to be easy or really helpful
    2) motor is reacting to duty-cycle of the supplied current, not waveform

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

All the more reason for Better Stepper Drivers. This is a kludge, but no matter how minor the results I have back to back prints of the same model with the same filament at the same settings where there is a visible difference. Again that is with the cheapest Stepper driver chips on the market Allegra 4788.

It could also be that results are variable based on the model used to test, mine was a VASE printed cup stored on the rPi then run without, then run with the smoothers. Note X & Y axis only Z moves to slowly to care about any ringing.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. Hanno

Hanno New Member

It seems the problem have been around a while and in 2012 Hydraraptor had a solution for the 4988's and morgan3d resolved the same for the 8255. just google step stuck.