1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Stick question

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Vkial, Jun 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vkial

Vkial Member

Hello guys,

I'm having a problem about the stick of my print on the bed.

For some of my print they don't want to stick of the bed.

Especially for this piece https://www.youmagine.com/designs/world-cup-mascots when i do the print the foot of the piece come off the bed.

I try several thing :

- Bed at 60°C it don't stick
    - Bed with blue tape (cold bed) don't stick
    - Blue tape + hairspray (cold bed) don't stick
    - Bed at 70°C + hairspray don't stick

So for now i wonder that my hairspray doesn't be good. When you use hairspray and when you touch your bed is this feeling like glue or it's dry ???

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Your nozzle is too high off the build plate.

3. Vkial

Vkial Member

I do the calibration of the z offset like you said on a another post and the result was 1.20 i retry a print with your value 0.80 to try it

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Almost always the case if your prints are not sticking.
    I use blue tape with glue stick, but I have to rip up the blue tape every time since the prints are too well stuck.

5. Vkial

Vkial Member

OK i use the 0.80 z offset value on the first layer i think it's too low because there is some scratch with the nozzle but after the 3 - 4 layer the print works good and for now it's running about 1h with no problem :)

6. Vkial

Vkial Member

Oh yes i forgot i use only blue tape with cold bed for this print

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Cold or hot bed, I always use the blue tape. You can experiment with the initial height if you need to, glad it is printing.

8. Vkial

Vkial Member

The problem of my initiel height is that on my sheet of paper the z offset that robo team provide to me is 0.1mm.

It was a way too low so with the help of mike kelly i re-calibrate the z offset so i have 1.20 but it was too high lol ^^

So for experiment in futur i increase the z offset to find the right value to don't have the scratch on the first layer.

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

It just takes some trial and error. Took me 5-6 different values to find the one I liked. Ended up using .5 and it's been pretty good since then.

10. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

blue tape works best when cold. heating it up causes it to loose the initial grab.
    You cant just get any blue tape, you need the original stuff, the good old one.
    I love how hair gel works, but not every brand. I would put cheap tape on the bed and apply some hair gel on top. Wait till it dries out or turn the heat on to help it dry and then print.
    American CREW gel was working magic for me but there may be better brands and cheaper.
    http://www.amazon.com/American-Crew...975286&sr=8-2&keywords=American+Crew+hair+gel

11. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

3 people like this.
  12. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah as everyone has said your initial height is too high like number 2 or 3 on the chart in the write up Printed did.
    99.9 % of the time for new users this is the case as they do not realize how low thing needs to be. In your case the filament is simply being laid down and it is not really sticking it needs to be pressed against the bed somewhat in order to stick well. Once you get this I think you will be able to get by with just hairspray if it is the right one. One down side to using blue tape is that if your initial height gets set via settings especially an offset it could be taking the height or thickness into account and your code becomes only workable on your machine. It is best to try and get prints to stick with as little as possible on the bed. The right hairspray does work by itself as seen by many many people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.