1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Still having some temperature problems!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by bcamaro1, Nov 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bcamaro1

bcamaro1 Member

I have posted two threads on this subject and for some reason I am keep having difficulty completely fixing the problem. I used the PIS autotune that Mike Kelly shared a link with me. However after entering
    M303 E0 S200 C8 into the G-code, the program continues this auto tune but then fails and says I have to restart my printer so I wasn't sure if the autotune worked last time I tried using this (and I did run this when the extruder was off). I have having non-consistent prints. some are perfect and then others the M999 code is thrown, but the temperature Doesn't have a quick spike down, so I know that the connection is good. What am I doing wrong. here is a pic of my last failed print halfway through through the print. Screen Shot 2014-11-17 at 12.47.25 PM.png

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Start the pid tuning from cold.

That to me looks like a loose thermistor

2 people like this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, that is exactly what I would suspect as well.

4. bcamaro1

bcamaro1 Member

I did start it cold. You mean that the thermistor is loose inside the extruder, which causes it to move slightly? how should I go about to fix this problem besides the obvious, any suggestions?

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Push the thermistor into the housing more I guess. I'm not entirely sure how hexagons hold the thermistor in place. I think it has to do with the silicone housing.

6. bcamaro1

bcamaro1 Member

So I have rearranged the thermistor and so far it is reading the temp fine. I also have the E3D extruder and not the hexagon stock extruder. If I have anymore problems Ill send them your way.

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

That would have been good to know from the start :)

8. bcamaro1

bcamaro1 Member

Ok so the code is still being thrown mid-way threw the print, picture below. I then went into the printer settings and changed the timing of reading from 1 second to 2, figuring there would be less faulty temp readings. However this didn't fix the problem. What do you think is wrong, because at the beginning of the print the temp reading is perfect, I and going to see if there is a loose wire anywhere again. Ill let you know by the weekend if I find a problem. Screen Shot 2014-11-19 at 7.01.47 PM.png

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Looks like somethings wrong with the thermistor line for sure. Those spikes indicate that it was getting a signal it shouldn't.

The graph only reports every so often, but M119 reports many more values and it kinda averages them.

10. bcamaro1

bcamaro1 Member

I just recently bought a new thermistor, do you think its that or could it be just moving around in the groove?

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Possible. what kind of e3d do you have?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.