1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Sudden slow down when printing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Peter Krska, Jun 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

I've been experiencing problems lately with the printer slowing down to a crawl during prints.

Using Repetier it starts off normal printings brim. Once I to the print, I see that the head is moving at such a slow speed. It might speed up for a while then goes back to a crawl. What can be the problem?

I tried restarting (rebooted) thinking it was out of memory. No change.

I then tried another model thinking it was the model. No change.

Is there something wrong with the ramps board?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Did you alter any of the print speed settings in the slicer?

3. Peter Krska

No. It's been printing amazingly till now.

4. Peter Krska

I am now back using Matter Control. It does not slow down. That's strange. What could be the problem with Repetier?

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It sounds like some of the settings got tweaked in whichever slicer you are using with Repetier (Slic3r or skeinforge)... Either that or something really strange is going on.

I have not used either in a while, but I recall there were screens to adjust this:

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/1716/speedsettings-in-slic3r/

6. Peter Krska

What are you using Mark? One thing is strange it was printing fine for a week straight. Then I put in a model from thingiverse and it was running normal at first slowing down somewhat. The it really got slow. Since then it's crazy slow. Switched over the MC and it's printing rather well.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Simplify3D is pretty much all I use these days.
    Once in a great while if I have something small I will fire up Repetier.

I can't remember the last time I even ran MC.

It does sound weird and most likely must have something to do with the settings getting tweaked for the printer or for the slicer. If I remember correctly Repetier has both, just sanity check that they are not adjusted. If MC works it is not a printer issue.

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I do like how MatterControl will send you a text message when your print finishes, that's pretty convenient.

I can also print over USB w/ MC. Cura and Repetier would hang

9. Mikethinks

Mikethinks Active Member

There is a setting in some slicers for a minimum time per layer, so small layers will cause it to slow down (presumably to allow time for the plastic to cool). Could this be part of the issue?

2 people like this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is a good suggestion, I had completely forgotten about that. If that is set you are totally correct in that it will force a pause (as well as run slower overall). I thought his was just running slow overall, but if it has min. time set it will also pause/slow way down.

11. Peter Krska

Min time per layer? Which setting in slic3r is that? I have not changed my slic3r setting for months. I use the same slicer program in both MC and Repetier.

Had an issue in MC where the head started to print in the air, switched to Repetier and continued printing. Printed successfully for 4 different prints and the 5th was when it started. Went back to MC and found that the auto level was on. Took it off and continued printing successfully in MC.

The slow down seems to only happen in Repetier. All slic3r settings are identical in Repetier and MC. Strange, but to tell you my opinion MC is preferable for its simple interface. It just crashes on me a lot of times. I have to restart it if I load an object and resize it or orientate the object. If I save it, then go to print, the program crashes. I restart and the object is still there and I am able to print to completion. Even 8 hour prints have worked.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, I 100% agree that (once you get past the inconsistent UI components) MatterControl is much easier to use.

I just found it lacking in the ability to control things and there were problems I had with models an Slic3r. Even Cura would not do a great job (or any job at all) on some models. Also, Slic3r is slow. I thought it was speedy until I saw what the current one does... Slic3r is slow ;) Granted for many models that is not an issue.

13. Peter Krska

What would be better to get, Netfabb pro or simplify3d?

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Not sure I can directly compare the two.

I never used Netfabb (and not the pro one, the free one) for anything other than repairing models that have slicing/manifold errors.
    Since switching to Simplify3D I have never had a model slicing issue.
    Even models that Repetier would not slice (or ones that it sliced slowly due to complexity).
    I expect that some will eventually crop up :)
    So I keep netfabb basic installed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.