1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Tested In Depth - FORM 2 SLA

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by KTMDirtFace, Feb 10, 2016.

1. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Thought this was very imformative, SLA looks like just as much or more of a burden..still needs crazy support..etc. and seems expensive.

I'm gonna stick with my robo3d and rep2 for now.

I work with some guys that do character modeling, and they dont like the FDM printers, one of them has the form 2. and loves it.

I mostly print functional stuff that I use so not characters..etc. and I dont have a problem with FDM printers in most cases.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

What is it that shapeways uses? etc? I have seen videos where its in powder and prints metal. I know SpaceX has a Titanium printer that can print ridiculous stuff with no support.. Guess us normal folks wont be having that type of tech for years?

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Most commercial concerns use SLS (Selective Laser Sintering) printers. They may also have other technologies running at the same time. SpaceX uses the same tech with Titanium powder. That is why there is no need to print any support, the powder bed itself supports the model 100%.

There was some H.S. student in Germany that came up with a SLS printer that I think was around $3500 to make. So it is not unattainable.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

SLA is much the same chemical/technical process as DLP except one uses the laser to draw the layer and the other exposes the entire layer at a shot. Whether the printer prints top->down or bottom->up (right side up or upside down) all matters :)

SLS is a much nicer approach, I just have not yet gotten bold enough (or enough extra cash) to want to build one...