1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

The Tasks of Robo

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by BenMac, Aug 11, 2015.

?

What tasks do you use your Robo for? (Please choose your top three tasks/uses)

Poll closed Aug 25, 2015.
  1. Hobby (Making cool things for yourself)

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Houshold (Making things to help around the house)

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Gifts (Making cool things to give away to others)

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Community (Making things to help others)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Jobs (Being paid to print things for others [i.e. 3D Hubs])

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. Prototyping (Printing projects that could become products)

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  7. Store (Printing projects in order to sell them)

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  8. Nothing (It sits there gathering dust on most days)

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BenMac

BenMac Member

Hey Everyone,
    I was wondering how you use your Robo. While I am primarily curious about whether or not you use it to make money, I would simply be happy to know how you primarily use your Robo.

If you do make money from 3D printing, how do you make money? The Robo Facebook page recently made me aware of the 3D Hubs web site, which sounded interesting. Which printer do you primarily use for making money, and why do you use it?
    If your primary machine is not the Robo, how could the Robo be improved so that it would be that machine? (i.e. upgrades or new machine)

I apologize if this is in the wrong section. It felt wrong for Off Topic, since it is primarily a question about the Robo. Though, it does have elements outside of the Robo. If any mods feel it is in the wrong place, please feel free to correct my error.
    Thank you for your time and consideration. I hope that you have a great day. :)
    ~Ben

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

This is kinda hard for me to answer.

I'd say my primary function is printing things around the house. Nice to be able to upgrade and repair things within a few hours. Needed a remote holder for my new fan so I designed and printed this in like an hour:
    [​IMG]

I also occasionally make gadgets and chotchkies for myself and the misses:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm also making a game for us:
    [​IMG]

My family will be getting more and more gifts throughout the years that are 3D printed. My neice and nephew both got one of these and I'm making my brother a squirrel chess set right now:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Of course I also love hacking my printer so I've done quite a few mods to it:
    [​IMG]

I've also done a few 3D Hubs orders. Developed an entire medical device on it, and am currently working on another prototype that I can't show off yet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've printed a few things for my work:
    [​IMG]

I've also made things for the community. Not only designing but I also printed a dual extruder setup:
    [​IMG]

I've never really sold prints. I thought about it at one point but the price point was too high to get interest.

I can safely say "Nothing" is the least of what my printer does :)

Michael DiFilippo likes this.
  3. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

I need to make something like this to replace a broken handle on my dad's drill press (raises and lowers the bed). Nice to know it can be done.

4. BenMac

BenMac Member

Thank you Mike, that is really cool, it is great to see the potential of the Robo. I know it wasn't easy to choose just three for the poll, but I knew that it would not be very varied if I didn't limit it to the top three. :) Also, thank you for filling out the poll, I really appreciate it. :)

Daniel, thank you to you as well. :)

I am hoping to finding out if amazing people like Mike are the exception or the rule here. so, that is part of why "Nothing" is an option. If you think I should add an option or that I should remove one, then please let me know. This is my first poll here, so I am still getting the hang of it.

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I think the people that use it are the ones that come here, so you won't get many "nothing" answers :)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. BenMac

BenMac Member

Quite true Mike, hopefully the option will not be used much or at all.

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

In fact, you are likely to get a lot of the same top 3 (but good luck).

8. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Definitely hobby/ RC stuff and random stuff for around the house for me.

Remote to my truck broke so i made a new holder for it.

Pin lock for my trailer hitch was too long and rattled around so i made a spacer.

Also seem to be printing random hobby stuff out for my friends that send me the thingiverse link because they don't have a printer.

9. BenMac

BenMac Member

Mark, there does seem to be a trend forming, but it still will be interesting to see the results of the poll. It closes about two weeks from now. I figured that would give plenty of people time. We do what we must because we can. :)

Very cool KTMDirtFace, that sounds great. Thank you for taking part in the poll. :)