1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved Think I lost HALF my auto leveling

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Ben R, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

Right hand side seemed to have stopped leveling. Would end up with an overall too low Z offset and right side would drag on platform.

Don't know what happened, but it stopped doing it..

Frustrating, I don't know what went wrong or how I fixed it. Fine tuned X axis height very minimally and it started working.. Maybe it was stuck in some goofy .. lord knows.

UPDATE
    now the auto level is working.. it goes up fine for a few layers then starts making a rats nest.

I'm stumped!

#1 Ben R, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2015
  2. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

Makin rats nests

Attached Files:

3. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

I've had the z axis sensors be too low on the coupling nut that the x axis rides on. What would happen is the x axis was riding on the nut instead of the sensor.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You can test your autolevelers performance by raising one side of the carriage at a time and seeing what it reports at with M119.

It's usually a good idea to level your X axis to improve the repeatability of the autolevelers

5. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

Hmm.. I'll hook up a computer and check it out. I was looking for a way to see what it was actually doing. Intermittent wiring issues or something a hard to troubleshoot with a multimeter.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is pretty much what @Mike Kelly was telling you. Position the carriage so you KNOW the condition of the switches and then issue the M119.
    See if they are reporting the Truth (like the truth, but more Real).

7. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

yea... exactly... Its a start anyway.

The erratic behavior of those last 2 prints is baffling.. but maybe it will become apparent

8. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

WELL all the end stops are working well.
    Right now it's printing fine.
    But it did that last night too. Wen't from dragging to skipping layers or something.

Strange thing. I ran G29 4 times to see what it had to say.
    FIrst and second time.. got the numbers I'm used to seeing... position X,Y -.4 position X,Y -.3 Etc... going around hovering around zero height discrepancy.

3 and 4th time I ran it... x,y 1.13 X,Y 1.04 etc.
    Both sets of numbers seemed to produce the same final output.

Anyway Currently the z axis seems to be acting fine. Last night the right hand z screw wasn't moving enough while auto-leveling during print. Usually the screws move in what seems like unison. Yesterday, one was moving visibly, but I had to touch the other one to feel the motor, couldn't see it.

Could it have a logic headache? Memory location went wonky and sitting overnight unplugged cured it? I did nothing physical to the machine today.

9. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

printed 2 prints so far with perfect operation (well PET+ ended up with some fat layers). No idea what went wrong, but its not now.