1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Threaded Bolt

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Thamer Albahiti, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Thamer Albahiti

Thamer Albahiti Active Member

where did the thread about the threaded bolt go ?

i think i'm having problems with mine, donno if i should replace or try to fix

my prints starts out fine, but all of a sudden, the bolt stops pushing down filament instead it keeps grinding through it
    in two other prints the filament swirled under the bolt instead of getting pushed in (this i'm assuming because the temp was not high enough to get the filament out of the tip)

i also found the filament swaying from left to right away from the threads.

I want my printer to run like an hp desk jet, plug and play untill replace :)

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3d printing ha a ways to go yet for that.

Can't hurt to upgrade it (and it is relatively easy). Here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131012353183

3. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

you mean hobbed bolt what you are looking for is the recessed hobbed bolt but I thought the lastest printers were coming with them already

4. Thamer Albahiti

Thamer Albahiti Active Member

yes i did mean hobbed bolt but couldn't remember the name and i couldn't edit the topic :)
    mine is a bit recessed but seams to be grinding through the filament.
    i assumed me heat was not high enough to melt the filament but i tried 230-225 and still getting same problem (stops pushing filament)

Attached Files:

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I may not be one of the latest, mine (delivered in Oct.) certainly is not recessed like the one from eBay (which, I am being lazy, I have not installed yet and it is just sitting on the table by the printer).

6. Roger M

Roger M New Member

I'm a new user and like you, I was grinding the filament and it was binding and folding up after the feed bolt. I purchased the hobbled bolt from Ebay, and it definitely has a deeper groove and cuts than the stock bolt (I expect that it has a much more consistent feed rate because of this ). Unfortunately, the problem was worse with the new bolt. I finally loosened the retaining bolts to relieve pressure on the filament to the bare minimum required to hold it firmly against the hobbled bolt, but not too much that it will grind or bind. I think reducing the feed rate in the slicing software will help as well, although I haven't found where that setting is yet.
    For ABS on my printer, I adjust the retaining bolts until the bolts just extend to the end of the nuts and it seems to do fine. You will want to clean the bolt after each print until you are confident that there is no grinding.

7. Phat Vi

Phat Vi New Member

Roger, sorry for bringing back to old thread. Were you able to find the feed rate setting?

I have similar issue with the "binding and folding up after feed bolt". I had the grind at the beginning but by using a different spring that has higher stiffness and not tighten all the way seems to solve the grinding issue. It was printed fine for 4-5 layers and then binding and folding up happened. (not sure if it has any correlation with the fan or not)

8. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Are you sure your temperature is not a bit too low for the filament?

9. Phat Vi

Phat Vi New Member

I had the temperature at 195C. It was printed fine for 10 layers tonight after I reduced the filament speed. See my other tread for details.