1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Threaded Rod Coupler?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by SteveDjarrell, Oct 8, 2015.

1. SteveDjarrell

SteveDjarrell Active Member

First please excuse me asking something that I am sure has been asked. I have been all over the forums and I am honestly loosing track of the articles I have read. I am suffering from z axis ribbing. I know the end solution for me is to upgrade to the new threaded rods ad stepper motors. I have a circa march 2015 Robo 3d R1. I have already dismantled it and added Teflon tape to the threaded rod, had to add it to the motor shaft as well. Seems it will not tighten enough. I have added Teflon tape to the top of my smooth rods as well to make then snug in the molded retaining hats. All of this has helped with the ribbing a lot but it is still not good enough for me. So with all of that, almost forgot I seem to have the best luck with Matter control, but I have cura and S3D as well, does anyone know of a printable coupler that may work better than my stock setup? I would like to try that first as the upgrade kits are sold out at the moment. Also I am on the latest firmware running a win7 system for printing. Thank you,
    -Steve

2. robert sanchez

robert sanchez Active Member

I think @Marquis Johnson had come out with a nice adaptation that he has posted on here, I am hoping naming him here, will alert him and he will respond.

3. SteveDjarrell

Thank you,

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The couplers alone will not solve it, although you may see an improvement.
    Just to be clear.

5. SteveDjarrell

I realize that so far I have gotten night and day difference with the quick fixes I have applied but the upgrade kit is sold out with no ETA. I know I need to do that but rather than piece my kit I would like to buy a complete kit from Robo. I am just looking to try the coupler while I wait for the kit to be available. I have some free time right now. Thank you for the reply though.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Hopefully they will restock enough to at least update most of the outstanding R1 units.
    The bed upgrade they did for the beta was a signup sheet approach that worked, but not the best.

7. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

This will show my ignorance but since I got my robo3d r1 about a month ago refurbished from robo on ebay how do you tell if you have or don't have the new upgraded lead screw? I can tell they replaced some parts and it does print pretty well, I have shown no signs of ribbing.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you have the upgraded lead screw there are no couplers. The lead screws are mounted on the stepper shafts.

9. SteveDjarrell

Well I have decided to just piece the kit together and do it myself. Thank you jbigler1986 for the fairly thorough walk thru of the process. I have made my new lead nut adapters and have sourced the new steppers through Alibaba, Should be two weeks for them to arrive I can wait for the price I got them for. I went ahead and order all the rest of the hardware needed. Should come in about 50.00 to do it this way, plus I get to take it all apart again. While I am at it I have a new cable chain to install as well as the second fan. Thank you for all the responses.