1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Threaded Z-axis rod not fixed to it's motor properly?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by da9l, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. da9l

da9l Member

Hi everyone!

I posted this previously in a different thread, being slightly off-topic I guess it got lost there so here goes again.

One of my threaded z-axis rods seems to not be fixed to it's motor properly. If I gently pull the threaded z-axis rod up or push it down it moves about 1-2mm up and down. The other one is fixed and does not move at all if I try to pull or push. See this video clip for details: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s8iog3i1grbc9jp/20131012_205330.mp4

Is it supposed to be like that or is it a potential problem?
    If so, any suggestions for how to fix it?

Regards, Daniel

2. AutopsyTurvy

AutopsyTurvy Active Member

Mine's like that too, and I'm not really sure the purpose of it being like that, but it's not problematic for printing so I'm supposing it's by design, and not something you need to fix or worry about. :)

3. da9l

da9l Member

That's great to hear. Thanks!
    I guess that it leans toward a feature rather than a bug but it would be nice to get an official answer as well. ;)

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry to cast some gloom but both of mine are nice and tight and to add to what topsy said as long as when you lift it is drops back down on its own it should not be problematic but if it slides and stays in a position other than down than I think something needs to be adjusted. to be safe i would check the screws on the coupler joining the rod with the motor make sure they are all tight

5. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Is it actually moving up and down or is the coupling compressing? Maybe some couplings are defective and are softer then others?

6. da9l

da9l Member

@tesseract I'll check those screws in the coupling.
    @seshan it seems to me, watching the clip again that the coupling is compressing when I push it down and it's extracting when I pull. About a mm in either direction.

Skickat från min GT-I9100 med Tapatalk 4

7. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

detach the coupling from the z rod, make sure the threaded z rod is all the way down in the coupling then retighten the coupler set screw. Those couplings are designed to flex to compensate for misalignment. But sometimes whoever installs them doesn't push them all the way down before setting the set screw you will get that motion.

another cause could be that the z rod itself is out of tolerance and not allowing the z rod to sit all the way down. Then you would have a space at the end of the z rod and the top shaft of the stepper motor which would allow that up and down motion.

3 people like this.
  8. da9l

da9l Member

Thanks for the help Cambo3D. It's really appreciated, however I don't quite understand.
    How can I unscrew the coupling from the z rod and then make sure the z-rod is all the way in the coupling???

Did you really mean "unscrew the top coupler set screw, make sure ..."?

Regards, Daniel

9. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

sorry fixed. I meant to say detach the the threaded z rod from the coupler

10. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey Daniel, I'm going to need to ask them at HQ about this. I'll send them this thread right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.