1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Top of cylinder didn't seal

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by YellowMenace, Jan 28, 2015.

1. YellowMenace

YellowMenace New Member

Tried my first print last night. It looked great except the top had holes in it. The printer did try to cover the top but wasn't successful.

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

First step would be to tell the slicer to add more top/bottom layers.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Also try reducing the temp to around 200.

4. YellowMenace

YellowMenace New Member

Fantastic! Thanks guys. I'll have to figure out how to add the layers but I've seen the temp settings already.

5. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

You will need to select show all settings to get the input box for the number of top and bottom layers. I typically aim for about 1mm of thickness (1/layer height; for a 0.2mm height gives 5 layers) on the top if I'm really concerned about appearance.

Attached Files:

6. mediaguru

mediaguru Member

Is this the starter blue filament? It looks like it. I've been informed it's pretty bad (and it seems to be pretty true)

I saw this same type of fail (or similar, anyway -- did it print anything at all? In my case, it printed some really spongy/flaky layers that didn't really adhere, and just flaked off) when I printed the glasses at default Medium-quality settings in MatterControl. However, using the exact same settings with other filament worked fine, so I'm inclined to believe maybe the main problem was the filament after all...

First thing I'd try is playing with the temp settings like they said, however

7. YellowMenace

YellowMenace New Member

Yes it is the blue sample filament. I have some ABS I'm about to try, maybe tonight.

This is all very helpful. This was just a test to see if I could tinker something and print it. Also on the bottom I put a hex hole but it ended up having some webbing in it. Not sure why.

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

webbing/stringing is usually a symptom of too hot extrude with PLA/ABS. Fiddle with the temperatures some--hotter is not always better.
    However, get some 'real' filament and try that before tweaking anything.

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

BTW what layer height was this done at? Generally you want around 1-1.5mm of solid layers on the top. 1.2 is a good number to use. So for .2mm layer heights 6 top layers is good, but for 1.2 you should use 12 etc

2 people like this.
  10. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

ensuring proper extrusion volume can help too... i was trying to defeat ribbing and went too far. wouldn't bridge the infill to close the top with tons of layers to close it. both higher extrusion volume and more infill volume would individually solve the issue. wish i could have variable infill... baymax was perfect... with a hole in his head.

11. YellowMenace

YellowMenace New Member

Thanks for the tips. The increase of top layers did the trick. Thanks everyone.

2 people like this.
  12. YellowMenace

YellowMenace New Member

How do you change the flag on this post to "resolved"? I this something the thread starter can do or is it only for admins?

13. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

Right above your first post on the right side you will see thread tools or something along those lines. Then select edit title. It will then give you a drop down list to change it.

14. YellowMenace

YellowMenace New Member