1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Total footprint?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by AutopsyTurvy, Jun 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AutopsyTurvy

AutopsyTurvy Active Member

I can see on the Kickstarter page that the printer's dimensions are 43x38x45 cm. However, I don't know if that is the total space the printer can take up when printing (because the print bed moves out of the case) or if that's just the case itself. Trying to get my studio set up and I'm going to need a spot big enough for my printer. :)

2. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

3. AutopsyTurvy

Hmm, well, it's not so much the build volume that I'm concerned with as the total amount of space the printer will take up. I suppose I could just add the whole build volume to either side out of the case and that would certainly be enough, but I doubt the entire print bed extends out of the case at any point, and with a very tiny studio (less than 2 meters by 4 meters) with other fairly bulky equipment and supplies needing their own place too), I need stuff to fit very nicely in its given area without much extra.

4. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

@autopsy the bed moves its size forward and back (apparently) so you will need about 50-55 cm for footprint of printer plus rearward movement of bed. That is a fair starting point until you get the machine, anyway. Small space!

5. AutopsyTurvy

It's that "plus movement of the bed" I'm worried about... The cabinets that I want are 60 cm deep and while I suppose I could open the door to give enough room when printing, I'd rather not have to! I guess that will also depend a lot on -what- I'm printing, and I won't be using the full extent of the bed very often.

6. Jacob B.

Jacob B. New Member

I'm going to hazard a guess that 60cm should be sufficient.
    The head sits approximately centered on the bed in the neutral position, the bed is 10" (25.4cm) wide, and moves back and forth.
    Since the head needs to be able to make it to either far side of the bed, you'll need a little more than twice the width (5" movement to each side, plus some room for error) which puts you at ~51cm

Now, without actually having a printer in hand, I can't be totally sure, there's probably some extra overhangs and other things to consider, which will be eating into your ~9cm margin of error.

Once I get my printer (March backer) I'll physically move the bed the full length to either side and see how big a footprint it will actually take.

Not sure what month your printer was in, but I might get mine enough in advance that you'll have time to order/build/modify cabinets.

7. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I think it actually moves the full width back and forth but am not 100% sure

8. pclabtech

pclabtech Active Member

After measuring mine, the width is 17in and the depth is 15 inches. Add 6 inches front and back for the build platform (27in). The height remains the same

9. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Yea. MAke sure I would say to have 30 Inches total for the length of the printer. Then 19 or so for the width, and then add some for the hight also.

10. Jacob B.

Jacob B. New Member

Thanks for the measuring guys, looks like my guesstimate was overly optimistic, as it tends to be.

11. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

My desk is 24 inches deep, Hmmmm. Witch is only a problem since I am building a enclosure.

12. pclabtech

pclabtech Active Member

24 inches is fine. The unit is 15 inches, the bed goes out the back 6 inches for 21 inches. If you build an enclosure, you can leave a little slot for the bed to stick through your enclosure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.