1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Trouble printing my own design

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Matt77, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Matt77

Matt77 New Member

This is my 1st 3d printer and 1st foray into 3d design (great fun so far!). I have started using 123d Design software and have become somewhat comfortable designing with it now. A project I'm working on now, has been giving me problems, and showing me how little I know. The problem is in generating support material. Seems no matter how I orient it on the bed, and no matter what program I use to generate supports for me, there is a section that is free span, where the printer is making these long bridges. I don't know much, but I figure that is not ok, and it doesn't look ok.

So, what am I missing here? I've used Meshmixer, it's support material slows the slicer down so much I can't use it (somewhat due to the size of the object). From within MatterControl, I was under the assumption that it would generate the support material for me, but when I looked under the settings for Support Material the generate support material box is checked, but the "enforce support for first __layers" has 0 as the default. Does that mean I have to figure out how many layers need support each time? Even then, when I input a number that is sufficient, it again starts printing across a large open spot making a stringy surface.

Is there a software program that will find the best position on the printer bed for the least amount of supports and then generate the supports I need so I don't have these problems I'm talking about? I've attached the .stl file of the object I'm having trouble printing.

Thank you,
    Matt

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Loaded it into Simplify3D and it certainly generated supports. It is pretty large and not sure I would have printed it in the orientation you have it, but none of that would affect supports. You could easily (a few clicks) add manual ones where you wanted as well (or vice versa, remove ones you didn't want).

However, most of the free slicers (and MatterControl is the worst of the lot) are lacking in the support generation side of things. I gave up on them in this area a while back. Someone with more recent experience can add their comments.

Good luck.

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Welcome to the world of 3D design. I have a full library of things I have designed that cannot be printed, or at least can't be printed with FDM printers.

I would assume the shape is mandated by where you will mount it? I likely would redesign it so that the back is all on the same plane then you only need support for the bridge. I am not sure why the thinner section has to be centered on the smaller section, other than for looks.

4. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

I've heard that Slic3r is pretty good with support material, but haven't tried it since I already have Simplify3D.

Maybe give it a shot?

http://slic3r.org/

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, this is why DLP and SLA printers are taking shape on our workbench :)
    Even those would not work for some designs. You can easily design something completely unprintable... been there, done that.

6. Matt77

Matt77 New Member

Thanks guys! I'll go back to the drawing board, simplify the design so it'll print better. There's a lot to consider. Good to know I'm not alone out here. 1 week owning the printer, and I'm bound to make mistakes right! Thanks again ;)

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Believe it if you want, but Autodesk Meshmixer isn't too bad at generating support material either. It's free too. There just isn't support to directly print on a lot of printers, so it is generate support export as .stl then load, slice and print from something else.

8. Matt77

Matt77 New Member

Agreed, it works good with 123d Design and I did find a tool in it that lets you optimize placement for the least support material. One thing I notice with the support material with it, is that its very weird looking... like a bunch of random trees rather than something straight and columnar.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There are a lot of different ways to implement supports.
    Have not seen that one, but perhaps it will work.

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@mark tomlinson, just for shits and giggles you should download and install Meshmixer just to see what the supports look like and maybe print a single model. Then you can uninstall it and never look at it again. The support will look like an old gnarled tree with branches going off in odd directions, they snap off very easy too.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I may just do that. It sounds...interesting.