1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Two quick questions.

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by iwtwe, Sep 10, 2015.

1. iwtwe

iwtwe New Member

Unmodified Robo 3D R1 with heated bed and MatterControl running Slic3r.

1) What is the XY accuracy of the printer?
    -This information is unlisted and would be extremely useful to know for design purposes..

2) What size are the two machine screws used to secure the hexagon hot end to the main carriage?
    -I accidentally stripped one and need a replacement.

Thanks~

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Q2: They are M3 but they only tap into the plastic carriage. Both together hold the hot end in place and don't really need to firmly grip the carriage.

Q1: Harder to answer. In the Z plane at 200 steps per revolution and using a 8 x 1.25 Metric Lead Screw, you theoretical limit would be 0.00625 mm per step (6.25 microns). In the Z and Y planes theoretical limit is 0.0125 (12.5 microns). The reason I say it's hard, is that here you are dealing with microsteps, which, simply stated, is not a function of the stepper but rather a function of the stepper driver's ability to deliver a very specific amount of current to keep the motor between steps. Likely the actual accuracy will be some small percentage less than these limits provided your Robo is set up 100% optimally.

iwtwe likes this.
  3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

80 steps per mm on X and Y, probably need 10 steps for a good resolution. Corners and curves are limited to the nozzle radius, or .2 for a .4mm nozzle.

2) M3-25mm or #4 - 1"

iwtwe likes this.
  4. iwtwe

iwtwe New Member

Thanks for the quick and accurate responses, I really appreciate it.

I'm glad I asked about the screws because I would have never know that they didn't actually tap into the hot end heat sink.

My hot bend in the printer came from the factory "tapped" and I replaced it and thought I was supposed to just screw it into the aluminum again hence the stripped screw. :rolleyes:

Some pictures (original hot end) in case someone comes across this thread and finds it useful or wants to know what not to do if you replace it:
    http://i.imgur.com/a2B91ZW.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/yAexp4u.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/CUXxxLU.jpg

Thanks y'all!

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The screws will bite into the soft aluminum used in the heatsink, don't worry about it.

iwtwe likes this.
  6. iwtwe

iwtwe New Member

Aight.