1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Unable to see ports in Arduino

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Sue Parks, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Sue Parks

Sue Parks New Member

I have been back an forth with this 3d printer for some time. I got it in Dec. 2016. Last year, I attempted to connect the Robo to my Macbook Air. I switched the cords, I connected a hub, and I also tried updating the firmware with Arduino. I tried Matter Control. Cura, and Rep. Host. I had no luck...cool. I said apparently, I am not ready for this adventure.

This past summer, I started to feel brave, again. I bought a new PC tower. I have windows 10 now. I tried to connect the printer this morning. Things were looking great. I ran to get the hairspray and it was no longer connected.

I do know that windows does not recognize the printer. I seen that notification.
    In the device manager I could not see a COM port list. (Now I see COM4 but it had a !)
    I can not see any ports in Arduino. I can see the correct board.

I fixed the fpos_t* error....file did compile, but if I upload:

avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer
    the selected serial port
    avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer
    does not exist or your board is not connected

How can I get windows to recognize the printer??

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=135451.msg1625845#msg1625845

Probably the best idea is there. Try a powered USB hub between the computer and the printer.
    I always used those when I had the printers directly connected because the Arduino Mega + RAMPS wants to draw more current than the USB spec really allows. "But it is powered off of the power supply" you say ... Not exactly. The Mega can power itself off of the USB and there used to be a jumper to force it one way or the other, but that went away on newer revs of the Mega 2560 boards. So ... yes it CAN power off of the 12v side, but it seems to want to draw more power still than the USB ports default to supplying. A powered hub will sort that. The Mac computers were more sensitive to this and thus would fail more often than a PC (as a rule of thumb) and we always told folks on a Mac to just get a powered hub :)

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If that does NOT work (the hub) then all that is left is a failure of the Arduino board itself. Cheap enough on Amazon (look for Mega 2560 clones). You will need to reload the firmware after replacing that board... :) I always suggest getting one of the the "everything kits" that have all of the electronics (this is an example, not a recommendation: https://www.amazon.com/Printer-Controller-Kit-Arduino-Upgraded/dp/B019TNELNU) those have all of the components -- you know, for spares.

4. Sue Parks

Sue Parks New Member

Hello Mark!

Right now I am working with Windows 10. This is really all I have to go off of. I will look at the amazon link you posted. How can you tell the board is bad/corrupt??

Attached Files:

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

That could be a number of things. I have a USB SD card reader that once every five or six reboots displays the same error. The best thing to try is to remove any drivers from those entries, then load the Arduino IDE and accept loading the USB drivers that are included. Then you can rule out the PC. Also sometimes you can try plugging into a USB port directly connected to the motherboard, like those on the back panel. See if that corrects your communication issue. If that doesn't work then it is likely what @mark tomlinson has said and may be a bad arduino board.

Sue Parks and mark tomlinson like this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If teh failed USB port comes and goes when you plug and unplug the printer then I agree with @WheresWaldo and the driver is likely suspect. Reinstalling the Arduino IDE as he suggested will force a install of that if you tell it to. If that does NOT make it work then likely a bad Arduino board. Not a normal thing, but it does happen.

Kilrah likes this.
  7. Sue Parks

Sue Parks New Member

" Load the Arduino IDE and accept loading the USB drivers that are included."
    Can you explain to me how to load the drivers that are included??

8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

When you install the IDE there will be a dialog box that pops up near the end of the installation that will ask you if you want to install the USB drivers. You must accept that installation.