1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Unable to start print

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by JC 3d, Jan 27, 2016.

1. JC 3d

JC 3d New Member

so i have a robo 3d beta PLA,
    last year i updated the arduino mega and it was working normally. i stopped using the printer because i had a clog in the extruder several months ago. well i finally got to taking the extruder apart and unclogged.
    all put together, everything is working fine im able to move the extruder manually with mattercontrol and im also able to heat up the extruder to 210.
    now the issue is that when i go to the queue and hit print on a test file it will say "ready to print" but nothing happens. at that moment i am not able to manually move the extruder the controls get grayed out. furthermore, under the printer i can see the arduino mega is flashing a RED LIGHT.???
    I dont know what that is or how to proceed. i know i not to far off but i cant figure it out.

PLEASE HELP! thanks like always.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Do you preheat the bed and extruder before starting a print?

3. JC 3d

JC 3d New Member

No, i dont have a heated bed so i set setting accordingly to 0 deg
    the extruder is set to 210 deg and will work and heat up correctly.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

If you export the g-code and try printing from Repetier-Host does that work?

5. JC 3d

JC 3d New Member

I dont have the repetier host anymore, but i havent tried that. i guess i can download repetier and try that. but i was able to use the mattercontrol before with no problem. i have cura and was going to start using that but i dont have i calibrated yet. am i completely lost or what?

6. JC 3d

JC 3d New Member

ok so i am completely lost now, before i messaged you i went on the Arduino software and i tried to upload the merlin_6_10. and now i not able to connect to the printer matter control constantly says attempting to connect to printer and it doesn't. ughh.

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you can get a console log from matter control we can see if there are any errors reported.

8. JC 3d

JC 3d New Member

this is the error i get on the the board:

Arduino: 1.6.7 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

Sketch uses 642 bytes (0%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253,952 bytes.
    Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 8,183 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8,192 bytes.
    avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "/dev/cu.usbmodem1421": Resource busy
    ioctl("TIOCMGET"): Inappropriate ioctl for device
    ioctl("TIOCMGET"): Inappropriate ioctl for device
    avrdude: ser_send(): write error: Bad file descriptor
    Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
    "Show verbose output during compilation"
    enabled in File > Preferences.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

10. JC 3d

JC 3d New Member

good article however what the article states matches my board for example:

i could find my board on system reports
    Go to the Apple menu -> About This Mac -> More Info -> System Report

on terminal i am able to locate the the arduino board along with a couple of other things i have connected.

and lastly on the arduino IDE i am able to locate the dev/ port for my board.

so we are able to see it its just i am not able to connect to it. I looked at my matter control settings and restart the program and it still is not connecting.

11. JC 3d

JC 3d New Member

Ok this is just weird, I'm willing to start again from scratch...

is there any threads on updating a Robo 3d beta from scratch? meaning updating the firmware on the Arduino board etc.?

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

13. JC 3d

JC 3d New Member

ok so took a break for a while, looks like i had a little case of coders block. no worries got back to it.

like always, restarted all programs restarted the computer and the Robo to start. got to uploading the firmware. finally was able to download zip files and get sketchbooks. i was also able to find Arduino and connect to the mega. now all that was left was to upload the software and wait for the "Done Uploading" message. DONE...my smile was from ear to ear!

Connected to MatterControl and heated up the extruder and started print (which printed beautifully again)... ok, at that moment i ran two laps around the house.

Thanks again like always couldn't have done it without you guys.

mark tomlinson likes this.