1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Uncomment?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Kenneth Apthorp, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Kenneth Apthorp

I want to enable baby stepping for my LCD controller. After days of reading and trying to research and finding files and downloads. I'm all set but for the life of me haven't determined/figured out what is meant by "Uncomment #define BABYSTEPPING". Is it as simple as removing all the comments about baby stepping up to this line?
    "// does not respect endstops!// it can e.g. be used to change z-positions in the print startup phase in real-time// Babystepping enables the user to control the axis in tiny amounts, independently from the normal printing process//#define ABORT_ON_ENDSTOP_HIT_FEATURE_ENABLED// Enable the option to stop SD printing when hitting and endstops, needs to be enabled from the LCD menu when this option is enabled."

I understand that uncommenting /commenting has a way of turning things on in the firmware, at least I've come to this conclusion. So the new code should look like this?

//#define BABYSTEPPING
    #ifdef BABYSTEPPING
    #define BABYSTEP_XY //unless you have real need for this capability
    #define BABYSTEP_Z_MULTIPLICATOR 2 //(or to 1 if you want very fine control)

I'd rather ask the stupid question, get the right answer, and save myself some hassle.

Thanks for the help, suggestios and or education in this.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

yeah the term commenting has to do with how you typically would use them for making comments in a note

//This is a comment to describe the command below
    #define something
    #ifdef Do_something //do the command you defined abov
    #endif

Now to "uncomment" something means removing whatever you've "commented out"

So for your example, you'd remove the // to uncomment #define BABYSTEPPING

so

Code:
    #define BABYSTEPPING
    #ifdef BABYSTEPPING
    #define BABYSTEP_XY //unless you have real need for this capability
    #define BABYSTEP_Z_MULTIPLICATOR 2 //(or to 1 if you want very fine control)

3. Kenneth Apthorp

Wow, okay! So just removing // from #define BABYSTEPPING is the key. Thank you Mike for taking the time out to explain that. PERFECT!

4. Kenneth Apthorp

So, I've gone thru all the firmware changes from Ziggy's post. It all seemed to go well, but the controls are mixed up. Baby step x has z Steps and babystep z has babystepping Z: has no counter. See pics. I don't know how I messed this up but did. Everything works but mixed up. Also, the files modified but ultra.ccp couldn't be found to download but Arduino says it's there. Any help would be great figuring this out.

Attached Files:

5. Kenneth Apthorp

Found the problem in ultra.ccp! My bad, put the code in lcd_babystep_X when, dah, it belonged in Z. Seems to be working great.

Mike Kelly likes this.
  6. robert sanchez

robert sanchez Active Member

So this is the first I've heard of baby stepping is there a how to on how to get this going?

7. Kenneth Apthorp

robert sanchez likes this.
  8. robert sanchez

robert sanchez Active Member

Thank you. Much appreciated.