1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Uneven temp across Heated Bed...and warping.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Burt Geiges, Feb 4, 2015.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Simplify has an open issue with raft being too aggressive. I am not sure when that will get sorted, but one of the known issues I stumbled across myself. Odd since support materials are do easy to remove.
    I Don't regret the investment...the printer does lovely prints with. It isn't cheap but it works so well. Sort of like Solid works I guess ☺

2. bwalker000

bwalker000 New Member

Marquis,
    I am in the process of trying to reprint using Simplify3D. I'll post on how that turns out. It may be that resolves things.

In the meantime I'm dealing with a clogged extruder. Badly clogged.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

See the sticky thread on oilers

4. bwalker000

bwalker000 New Member

I have been using an oiler. What had happened was that the screws holding the spring loaded arm that applies pressure to the feed bolt had worked themselves loose. So instead of feeding element the mechanism was just grinding up filament and dropping it into the extruder. I'm going to create a new post describing the new issues I've created for myself.

5. bwalker000

bwalker000 New Member

Marquis,

I printed with PLA and have done geometric test prints since upgrading to Simplify3D. My printer is printing accurate geometry.

I'm attaching one picture which shows that the fan doesn't fit properly. This is the least of the issues.

IMG_2194.JPG
    You can see that my particular fan is just not the proper dimensions to fit in the shroud.

The next picture isn't really the right angle, but I was trying to figure out where the duct was interfering.

IMG_2196.JPG

What isn't clear from this picture is that the bottom of the installed shroud is significantly below the nozzle bottom. Obviously that is not going to work.

I used my bench grinder to remove pieces of the shroud that I thought might be impinging. I removed quite a lot before I realized what the real problem was.

IMG_2197.JPG

The issue is that I think my carriage must have different geometry than yours. The angle of the shroud and its length are such that the tab on the back that allows it to clip onto the carriage will always aim it down far enough that the shroud will bottom out before the nozzle does.

I'm sorry I couldn't make it work. You design is really elegant and I wanted to use it.

Attached Files:

6. bwalker000

bwalker000 New Member

I printed this last night using Simplify3D. Beautiful part. Gorgeous.

Doesn't come close to working.

As the attached photo shows the vent bottom is significantly below the bottom of the nozzle.

IMG_2198.JPG

My suspicion is that the hex extruder is longer than the original one for which this fan shroud was designed. Does anyone know if that is true?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I don't have a hexagon. I have a E3D v5. Someone with a hex can advise which one worked best for them.

8. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

that's for the E3d v6 which is 15mm? longer than the hexagon. It won't work. that one itself is a remix from 2 that will work.
    There are 2 adjustable ones that work fine with all but the shortest hotends

9. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

10. Marquis Johnson

Marquis Johnson Active Member

Is your fan a 40mm, because if it is should fit without that much room left over if your printer is printing accurate geometry
    20150319_113034.jpg
    My slicer shows the height is 42.5 mm, 2.5mm for the catch and 40mm for the fan. Just to be sure I downloaded the file and reprinted it.
    20150319_112952.jpg
    After printing it is snug on top and bottom, but doesn't come out as much as yours was.

And Ben R is correct, this is for an E3D v6. I thought you had one because of the files you choose.

11. jhenager1

jhenager1 Member

Sorry for the late reply. Cube looks like 10mm square by 8 or 9 mm tal. pretty nice edges. not sharp, but a nice little box.
    Bottom is like glass, and top is pretty flat and smooth.
    Then I printed some more stuff. It is looking better. Lots of variables to consider, including the filament used. Printing a lot of different stuff and having fun, but everything pulls up at the upper left edge, even if just a bit. Thanks for all the good advice. photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

Attached Files:

12. bwalker000

bwalker000 New Member

I'm sure you've read this in 100 places, but software matters more than you can imagine. I have switched over to Simplify3d and use a raft if I need to get a really nice print. The print quality is improved so much I can't tell you. I was trying to tune every little detail and was making only minor progress. Then I switched to Simplify3D and I can do no wrong.

To be fair I have a few mods. I have an oiler, a spool holder on top, and a cooling fan for the print.

For my raft I have three raft layers and a "raft infill" of 33%.

I'm sure that you are hesitant to spend another $125 for Simplify3d. I was. But I feel like my printer is much better. Given what I'd already spent on the printer it seemed silly to scrimp and be disappointed with every print.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  13. bwalker000

bwalker000 New Member

My fan is 40x40x11mm.

I had downloaded the wrong files. I have a hex extruder and hadn't appreciated the difference. Sorry for the wild goose chase.

I'm now using http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:431160. I fudged the connection between the two parts. Just used a nut and screw, but it seems to work fine. It was just a little tough to get connected.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the misdirection.