1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Use more of the Bed surface

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by John Rygg, Dec 26, 2014.

1. John Rygg

John Rygg Active Member

Happy Holidays all ,
    I did the y-axis smooth rod upgrade and it works great, but it seams I lost a few mm's in the y-axis printable surface area compaired to my old kickstarter bed.
    this poeses a problem for me printing a part that maxed out my old bed, I know I could cut the part and print it in sections , but that does not really work for this part very well.

There is a lot of unused surface area of the bed that is restricted due to travel.
    is there any mods like longer rods and a diferent type of bracket that could buy us back all of that un-used glass at each end ??

thanks
    John

2. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

3. John Rygg

John Rygg Active Member

I like it , I should be able to use my current smooth rod holders and just print the extended bed holders.
    I would need new rods and a longer belt.
    where is the best place to source the longer rods ?

thanks again for your help that is awesome !!
    John

4. Galaxius

I went to a local stainless steel shop and got some rod cut. Was very cheap.

5. John Rygg

John Rygg Active Member

Great help thank you.
    Any idea on the specifications on the longer belt ? Teeth, size ,etc.

6. Jsn9955

Jsn9955 Member

This is good stuff I may investigate this in the future. John, I don't know if this will help you or not, but I've found that on my new R1 it doesn't print in the center of the Y axis. I had to reduce the Y center by 7mm to get it actually "centered", which allowed me to do a longer print, as it was hitting the stops in the rear. Changed it by 13mm, and started hitting the stops in the front. Dropped it to 7 and the print fit..

7. John Rygg

John Rygg Active Member

Galaxius did you have to repair this drawing to get the extended bed version to work ?
    I am having problems slicing it and I tried to repair with netfabb

8. Galaxius

I'm only using Tony's standard ends, I haven't printed the extended ends yet. Netfabb should fix any issues but if not send Tony a message, I'm sure he'd fix it for you.

9. Tony Janus

Tony Janus Member

Just made a post, but I remixed Tony's extended ends for compatibility with 495mm rods. Haven't printed to test yet, but everything fits great in 3ds max. Link to thingiverse page:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:618648

2 people like this.
  10. John Rygg

John Rygg Active Member

Great Idea , the only problem for me is that this was designed for the robo with the drawer rails.
    and I have already done the Robo upgrade , but want to take advantage of the extended bed.

I printed off the end caps and got new rods hoping to use this with my current base plate and bearing holders.
    the problem is that the bearing holders on the new baseplate that comes with the upgrade is narrower than the drawer slider baseplate.
    also the new end caps raise the bed up higher then the extended bed end caps so the extend bed end caps drag the bed over the bearing holders.

Has anyone ( or would anyone) remix this for the specs of the Robo upgrade kit?

thanks for your help
    John

11. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

It would be eazy if i had STL files that correspond to what you bought.
    It would be as eazy as adding something on top of current bed mount but you would probably loose 2 mm of Z print area, depending on how i'd go about doing it.

I dont have upgrade from ROBO store like you do, so i cant design anything without supporting STL file.
    But even then, i'd like to test it before calling it "functional".

If you find me the STL of a bed mount you have, i could try to come up with something simple.