1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Using Arduino software

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Robert Choban, Dec 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Choban

Robert Choban Active Member

I hope I have a quick question about using arduino software. I put the robo firmware I downloaded into the sketches folder of the ardunio software package. There are a lot of files which should show up when I bring up the ardunio software that are listed across the top of the screen in the software package. My problem is that not all the files show up and I'm not sure how scroll over to access the ones that don't show up. If I use the pull down menu again a lot of the files show up, but not all of them. This should be really easy, so I must be missing something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Which project did you open?
    It should be like : Auto_Level_6_10.ino

(whatever matches the firmware you are using).

They (the tabs) wrap to the right (there should be a down arrow on the far right that if you click it it shows everything in the project)

3. Robert Choban

When I look at all the files listed in the folder there are a lot of files, the problem is that I don't see everything that is in the project when using ardunio When I look at what is in the project under ardunio not every thing show up. I am using windows and if I go into explorer I see all the files. I download Robo firmware version 2 for 8mm rods. I do the pull down arrow and I see some of the files but not all of them. It only show what can be display on one screen, there is no continuation menu to show addition files. I downloaded a folder that Kelly send me with the latest firmware for the Robo with the 8 mm rods.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Not being able to access all the files when you are in the Arduino IDE is a limitation of the IDE package itself. Unfortunately it's not possible to tab across the files and when the file list scrolls down, part of the list is off the bottom of the PC display.

I haven't found a way to fix this. Workaround is to edit the files in Wordpad.

5. Robert Choban

Ziggy, thanks for the update

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yay free software :eek:
    Try running it on a Raspberry Pi. (at least it works)

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

CTRL+Alt+ left /right arrows allows you to move between tabs

8. Robert Choban

Mike I tried the Cntl+alt+right/left arrows and this does not work. What happens when you use these keys. When I display all the files in the pull down menu it only shows about 10 files and there is no continuation.

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You should see something like this when you load up the firmware:
    arduino.PNG

10. Robert Choban

Mike this is what my screen shot looks like, as you can see I don't get a lot of the files that are showing up when I look in explorer. Where did you put the files, what folder do you look them up in. The next screen shot shows how I access these files maybe I'm doing something wrong on where I put the folder with all the files in it. The folder I'm looking at is the Robo...V2_M8, this has all the files in it that should show up in the Arduino software

upload_2014-12-15_16-21-25.png

Second screen shot below **************************************************************

upload_2014-12-15_16-30-36.png

Attached Files:

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Extract Robo3DR1V2_M8.zip

You should then have a folder of the same name Robo3DR1V2_M8

Ensure there's 59 total files in the folder

Open RoBo3DR1V2_M8.ini

You should see roughly what i showed above. You won't/can't see all 59 files as mentioned

12. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Robert,
    You are not seeing all the files on the screen because they run off the bottom of your monitor. They are there. I only know of two ways to view the entire list. One is to directly look at the folder were they are located. The other is to use a dual monitor with one monitor logically on top of the other, stretch the Arduino IDE window down across both monitors and you will have enough room to see them all (pretty silly way to do it).

What are you trying to do? You can edit any of the files with a text editor, save then build/download with the Arduino IDE. Of course here "IDE" is really a stretch on the term. The Arduino program is really just a build manager and downloaded.

#12 SteveC, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
    3 people like this.
  13. Robert Choban

Steve, I was just wondering why I could not see all the files when using IDE. Also could not understand why the cntl+alt+right arrow did not work to scroll through the files. When I go to make a change to a file using a text editor, I can not save it to the same folder, says the file is read only. So I have to copy the file to a different folder, make the change and the copy it back to the orginal folder. I have check the properties of the file and they do not show it as read only.

14. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

You can't see all the files because the Arduino IDE is pretty lame and was not designed to handle so many files.

You need to close the Arduino IDE in order to edit the files with another text editor.
    1. Close the IDE, open the file that you can't see with a text editor
    2. make your edits
    3. save the file and exit the editor
    4. open the Adruino IDE and download to the Arduino.

2 people like this.
  15. Robert Choban

Thanks steve, that was my problem.
    How to I change this post to resolved?

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

[​IMG]

With edit title

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.