1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Vibration of Y Axis rods.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Teamdixon, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Teamdixon

Teamdixon New Member

I am having issues with my Robo 3d +1. At this point my son and I are novice users. We have reached out to Robo support with no resolution being found.

Using MatterControl, i am attempting to home the extruder. The result is that there is a terrible vibration that is coming from Y axis rods when they turn during the homing sequence. I have recalibrated the the position of the brackets that hold the z switches and that did not eliminate the vibration.

1) It is at a point now that the printer will not even move to home using Matter control homing. However, I can use the manual controls to move the print head and heated table.

2) I am not able to permanently modify the Z offset so that the extruder does not rub the heat table.

Has anyone else run into this issue?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The Y axis rods do not turn so -- assumption here -- you mean the Z axis leadscrews. You mentioned the Z home switches and those only matter to the Z...

It is either the stepper drivers for the Z (unlikely since both steppers are doing this I assume and the R1+ has two drivers -- one for each stepper) or ...
    The RAMPS or the stepper motors themselves (which is also unlikely given both are assumed to be doing it).

So, my guess would be a bad RAMPS board.

edit: Actually one of the steppers bad and the opposite one having a bad stepper driver would do it, but that totally breaks Occam's Law :)

#2 mark tomlinson, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    Geof likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Escalate this to a 2nd-tier support person -- you will need to schedule a call/skype session.

Geof likes this.
  4. Teamdixon

Teamdixon New Member

Thanks so much for the response. We have a Skype session with Robo on Monday.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Pity it takes that long, but they will need to be the ones to send you a replacement part.

Double pity since if they had used a standard RAMPS 1.4 board you can get them for <$15 via Amazon Prime while you waited for them to send you a replacement. I sincerely hope they have parts in-stock.

That can be a modification you can do later (out of warranty) and after you get more familiar with the machine. There are a LOT of cool projects threads to wander through.