1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered VIDEO: R1+ front X axis rod bearing dragging, possibly needs replacement?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by S1hane, Oct 7, 2018.

1. S1hane

S1hane New Member

So I just got this R1+ and it's been pretty fun to mess with so far. The problem I am trying to solve right now has to do with the front x axis bearing dragging on the rod. I'm not sure if I need to have the bearing replaced or do something else.

I've tried lubricating it and checking the alignment of the two rods together. I've also tightened the x axis belt. Did some checking of the Z axis rods too and they're properly seated at the top of the case.

In the video you can see in the first part that the front rod appears to have some resistance on it. At about 0:45 I put my finger on the top of the extruder motor and the problem goes away. The back rod moves smoothly.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If you take the x belt off is it smooth ? Or still rough ?

3. S1hane

S1hane New Member

Good question! So I took off the belt and moved it around some. I know the motor adds some resistance to it but I can't distinguish if there's really too much drag on them. I can't seem to tell if one rod is dragging more than the other because when I move it by hand (belt on or off) it moves evenly, like I would expect. So if it wasn't for the noise and vibration in the prints, I probably wouldn't even know there was an issue.

I did notice that the top side of the belt tilts up and down depending on the location of the extruder. So if I move it all the way to the left, the upper part of the X belt tilts down toward me some. When I move it all the way to the right, it tilts away from me. It's probably normal but I thought I would mention it.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Check your idler and make sure the belt is staying steady and nit walking back and forth. Also possible the timing pulley is causing the belt to be off center. Basically check and double check all mechanicals. If you can move the x with the belt off easily you can make a safe assumption it’s not the bearings

5. S1hane

S1hane New Member

I think it might be off center. Thanks so much for your help! I'll let you know what happens.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

LM8UU bearings are fairly cheap :)

Geof likes this.