1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Video review of Robo C2

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Ed Ferguson, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

Video review of Robo C2

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. Todd Wessendorf

Todd Wessendorf Active Member

Hmm . . . the print head looks like it can accept dual extruders. I thought only the R2 could support dual extruders . . .

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It has room for a bowden second extruder.

Look at the thread where I posted all of the pictures and if you look at the extruder carriage you can see where the second one will go.

4. Todd Wessendorf

I thought that was a feature exclusive to the R2.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@Todd Wessendorf I imagine it makes sense to do both machines the same and just scale one down. probably cheaper to have the parts made.

6. Todd Wessendorf

I could understand that too, but the R2 doesn't come with the 2nd extruder either. It's an optional add on.

I was under the impression that a 2nd extruder could ONLY be added to the R2. That's why I got the R2 instead of the C2. From the looks of this, the C2 can also have dual extruders.

Anyone else remember this being a selling point exclusive to the R2?

7. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Yep, which is why I laughed at the C2 kickstarter for a printer that didn't have a heated bed, and how huge the carriages were for ostensibly single-hotend printers.

Nobody that has been around since the pre-R1+ debacles should be even remotely surprised at anything that is discovered as C2 & R2 printers are taken apart and examined.

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

let me try it :) It is less than $50 in parts (many of which I already have on-hand) to do the 2nd extruder on the C2 if it works as it looks like it will. I started a thread in the projects sub-forum and I will document it. There may be some real stumbling block that I don't see at the moment. If it works you will lose roughly 1 inch from the build area when doing multiple extrusion (and none when not).

It would make a lot of sense for them to design as many of the parts in common as possible given their manufacturing pipeline. You need less spare parts on-hand too if you do it that way.

Geof likes this.
  9. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

From a manufacturing standpoint, it just makes sense for Robo3D to reuse the same print head assembly for both printers, even if the C2 isn't technically setup for an upgrade path.

It's like when someone uses a registry hack to turn Windows Home into Windows Pro, perhaps. The same platform was delivered in both cases and one was crippled to deliver less functionality.