1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Viki Housing

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Harry, Apr 5, 2013.

1. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

yes

2. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

printing at higher resolutions always takes longer, due to speed and other factors. If this printer was bad quality I wouldn't be able to do high resolution prints. rostock will print at 100 microns which is standard for most printers out there.

my grading is based on ease of assembly and calibration, instructions available, support, quality of parts, and other factors.

3. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

OK.. now that I see where the gap is I can add some material there. I probably made it to thin in that corner. Do you have any other improvement ideas?

4. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

i would just cut that whole area off above the redline as pictured above, that would cut down on print time, and filament. I dont see why you need that block where the gap is, should just be one single wall.

5. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

For some reason I cant remove that area so I reshaped it. This should solve the gap issue. I also chamfered the bottom corners to match the top. Should I recess the VIKI face so it mounts flush?

Attached Files:

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Justin where did you get the VIKI cad file I just got mine yesterday and was going to practice creating a drawing of a housing as well.

Also did you get any instructions with yours I just got the VIKE assembly and cabling are there instructions that I need?

7. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

8. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Here is what I came up with not to original but it does allow for angle adjustment
    From the left Side
    VIKI-L.png

From the top
    VIKI-T.png
    Here you can see how it works the backplate(green) locks into the VIKI box(blue) and the able is locked in by the pin (Yellow) it will be threaded as will the hole it is in so it can be screwed to lock the angle
    The back plate is angled in these images.

A perspective shot
    VIKI-P.png
    and a straight on from the front
    VIKI-F.png
    The cutout is just deep enough to allow the VIKI assembly to fit flush The hole is approximately lined up with pins that the cables are attached to. It takes three holes to get inside of the robo cabinet one for cable and two for mounting to cabinet. Now I just need to get my printer so I can print these and test them out. getting a lot of projects lined up but it is fun drawing these things too.

9. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Just had to show me up didn't ya Jeff. Lol.

3 people like this.
  10. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

NO LOL I can't even print so it may fail completely
    but I am getting better at the drawing stuff though I am learning this solidworks stuff

11. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

By the way why do you think I wanted teh specs LOL

12. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Don't worry... We should be able to test print in sometime in 2014. :)

13. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Now now be nice you should see this new thing I am making a hopefully low cost plastic shredder
    no I just need to get an extruder at low cost as well

14. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

A low cost plastic shredder would defiantly come in handy. A nice companion for my Filastruder.

15. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Right now I THINK it will handle plastic soda bottles and thinner material but I need to test it I wonder what PETE is like to print with

16. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

layertop.png This is the top view of a layered section of the main cutting wheel it is key so that another iece can go on top and be in the proper orientation

layerbot.png The bottom view shows how each piece is keyed to the other it has two possible positions
    to go along with the two alternating rows of cutting teeth
    stacked.png Here is several stacked with a top cover piece and bottom cover piece in place and you can see the two rows of alternating positions I also set back each tooth a bit from the previous one in the same row to make sure the act of cutting is graduated. Each alternate row of teeth cut different postions on the cut line there are three teeth per layer so this stack of 24 ends up with 6 cutting lines of alternating cutting times. Lines 1,3,5 have teeth in positions 1,3,5,7,9,11,13 etc and the alternate cutting lines 2,4,6 have teeth in positions 2,4,6,8,10,12 etc hopefully this lessens the stress on the assembly I am hoping to make these out of PLA because of it hardness but don't know if the thing will simply break up on me.

The teeth are harden steel pins I will have to cut at a 45 degree angle at one end and make a flattened area for locking down and then insert in the larger of the holes and hold it in place with a set screw in the smaller hole.
    A box of 100 of these is about $7.00 this assembly as it is shown would use 72

cyl-top.png This would be an example of the image from the top cover with the pins in place

IT would all be held together with a 1/4 threaded rod tighetend on the top and bottom covers which are actually concave so there is added pressure when screwed together holding the whole thing together
    This whole thing is only about 4 - 5 inches in length and 2 inches in diameter.

The feed plate is angled down to give the teeth the benefit of cutting tip first into the plastic being shredded it also will have a comb plate that matches the teeth pattern to help in cutting like scissors the material should end up about 1/8 inch wide and 1-8 to 1/4 long and should easily go into an extruder The pins are 1/8 by 3/4 but I may make them a bit thicker maybe 3/16 to 1/4. but the process would be the same just a simple modification to the drawings