1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer Warping During Printing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by NatronBoss, Jan 31, 2017.

1. NatronBoss

NatronBoss New Member

Hello there!

I'm working with a printer that when doing flat surfaces on the base layer, as it continues to print the part the base corners with warm upwards.

Has anyone had this problem and if so how did you adjust for it?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

More info is needed, material, settings, etc.

3. NatronBoss

NatronBoss New Member

i'm printing with PLA Plastic, what settings do you need to know?

4. Spidematt

Spidematt Member

bed temp and nozzle temp fan speed . also try using hairspray it works the best for me I havent tried the painters tape but hairspray works very well to hold the print down glue sticks worked but i found them to be harder to clean up.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Warping is caused by a few possible things:

1) A material that has a tendency to warp (if this is true the next things will make it worse)
    2) Temperature across printed model are too extreme

When you print the material it is extruded at one temperature, placed on a bed with another temperature and then cools in the air at yet another.

For example ABS has a tendency to warp Doesn't take much of a temperature variation for that to happen. PLA generally doesn't warp, but you can get it warp with the right temperatures.

One final option is bad filament. Sometimes you get crappy filament that just can't be printed well, BUT that is rare.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

P.S. warping physically happens because filaments all either expand or contract when heated and extruded (most swell/expand when heated). Then when they cool the contract and TaDaH! Warp. Some design things can be done to help fight this as well as general tips. Here is a handful.

https://www.makerbot.com/media-center/2011/06/23/12-ways-to-fight-warping-and-curling

http://3dprinting.com/tips-tricks/how-to-prevent-warping/

https://www.matterhackers.com/news/-how-to-stop-filament-warping-in-3d-printed-parts

7. Spidematt

Spidematt Member

You could also print with a brim this is usually what I do for abs as a failsafe

mark tomlinson likes this.