1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved What could be causing this odd ABS warping issue?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Oisin, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Oisin

Oisin Member

Ok, thanks! I'll do that and try another print. Hopefully it'll help.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. Oisin

Oisin Member

Ok guys I tried that. It didn't seem to change anything unfortunately. The bottom layer adhesion is fine now. It's the curling of the corners that's causing the problem. I tested the extruder after calibration and telling it to extrude 100mm made it extrude exactly 100mm. I also set the multiplier to 1.0. So that's done correctly.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Then heat management is the problem.
    ABS is difficult to print correctly w/o a heated chamber.

If the bottom is curling ABS 'juice' might be a good tool to use for keeping the first layer bonded to the bed.

Other layers warping and curling is purely due to too rapid cooling of the filament/model.

@Printed Solid has the enclosure for the Robo which certainly can help, I had some luck using directed heat -- specifically small IR heat lamps directed at the model printing. However you are going to need to experiment. The way ABS as a material behaves is a known quantity. As I mentioned there are very likely other materials that will give you better properties and not suffer the heat management issues, but they are going to cost more.

5. Oisin

Oisin Member

The bottom isn't curling at all. It's on each subsequent layer that the corners seem to be lifting upwards. It's odd since the printer hasn't been moved from the room, nor has anything been changed since I last printed with the same ABS with no issues.

PLA is very easy to print with but for some reason it just doesn't look good compared to the ABS, surface quality wise.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

As a comparison point, I have as I mentioned printed a decent amount of ABS (3 spools) on my robo, but I was never able to 100% get rid of warp and curl with ABS. 95% or so was about the best I could do. I just worked with it and adapted the models, but since the new plethora of materials has come out much with better properties I have not used ABS in over a year.

7. Oisin

Oisin Member

Could you tell me what material you've had the best success with? When I print with ABS, you can hardly see the layer lines at all! But with PLA it takes much more after care to get them looking anywhere near that good.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

All of them work well (except for ABS) but my favorite is either allow 910 or PCTPE

although In-PLA is really nice as well (if you can live with PLA properties).

I have had no issues with any of the Nylons either. They are susceptible to minor warp, but frankly with some tuning of the bed and nozzle temperatures you can get that gone 99.9%.

Seriously for ABS the real killer is minor drafts and other air movement which is almost impossible to control without a heated chamber. The cover that @Printed Solid carries goes a long way towards helping that if you really MUST use ABS. I would suggest examining some of the other materials.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Even my biggest and best ABS prints had warp and minor curling that I could never completely eliminate.

10. Oisin

Oisin Member

I went through a period of time where I exclusively used ABS and produced perfect prints. I had no build platform and took no care in the rooms temperature. Must have been luck then I suppose. Pity all the high quality filament is so expensive. I'd love to not have wasted money buying the ABS.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you make sure the printer is isolated from drafts (also make certain the parts fan stays OFF) and is in an area that has stable temperature environment you can probably get it printing again. I was at best able to get decent prints, just never perfect ones. The extra effort was what made me give it up. My time is worth more than that.

12. Oisin

Oisin Member

Well I reckon I'll give up and use PLA. Damn this printer and its constant issues! :(

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can experiment.
    This is one thing I did with (90%) ABS:

http://www.thingiverse.com/make:90476

but you can see that it had minor warp on the parts (look closely at the seams between the sections) and this was the best I could do. That was mostly white, and some black ABS.

You can get decent results with ABS, but it takes a lot of luck or a lot of tuning/tweaking.
    Missing the heated enclosure is a big down-side for that material.